Shine A Light

John pureneasy at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Apr 25 12:21:41 UTC 2009

Derek, re

> > Basically what i've been saying to people over the last 20 years. I just
> > don't get what they are about. A good pub band is my description of the
> > Stones and always will be.

That's a refreshingly different take on them;-)

I've always found the Stones to be a great pop singles band, rtather than a
live band.

Although to be fair to the Stones I've never sen them live, I have heard
boots of them, and of course get yer ya ya's out, all of which sounded poor.

However, let me strike a light in favour of the Stones, when I were nobbut a
lad, in't '60's, their singles were among the very best ever.

If you take the period 1963 to 1971, they produced these great chart hits;

> Not fade away
> It's all over now
> Little Red Rooster
> Satisfaction
> Get off my cloud
> 19th Nervous Breakdown
> Goodbye Ruby Tuesday
> Paint it black
> Can you see your baby standing in the shadows
> Jumpin' Jack Flash
> Street fighting man
> Honky Tonk Women
> Brown Sugar

Other absolutely great tracks off early albums were

The Last Time
Under my Thumb
Mother's little helper
Stupid Girl

They also did produce one great album - probably the best Stones album of
them all - Let it Bleed - and on Exile on Main Street there was Keith's best
song, Happy, and on Beggars Banquet there was Sympathy for the devil -
surely one of their best ever songs?

There's no doubt that Jagger and Richard had a great ear for pop singles,
and in recent years we've had such great tracks as

Start me up
It's only rock n roll
Undercover of the night
Emotional rescue
Mixed emotions.

While the Stones will never equal the Who - or even the Beatles or Beach
Boys in my ears and eyes, they can't ever be written off completely.

John