George Jones on The Who

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 11:32:51 UTC 2009

>From The Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2009/04/19/jones0419.html

...The great country singer, known for heartbreaking ballads such as “He Stopped Loving Her Today” and “She Thinks I Still Care,” will play Atlanta’s Fox Theatre on April 30. In a half-hour conversation, he talked about his legacy, his critterish nickname and how his honky-tonk past still haunts him.

On how he felt receiving a lifetime achievement award from the Kennedy Center: “I was worried to start with. I thought, ‘My Lord, I’ll be up there with all those stuffed shirts. I’ll feel plumb out of place. I’m just an old country boy.’ But I relaxed and met the other honorees and thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn’t talk that much with Barbra Streisand, but I did with her husband. And I had a ball talking with The Who [Peter Townsend and Roger Daltrey]. They’re real nice people.”...
 -Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com