WN or quad?

cfrate at roadrunner.com cfrate at roadrunner.com
Wed Apr 22 18:36:40 UTC 2009

Many people who seem to like Quadrophenia best usually point to the universality of it themes and how it relates to them, but for me, Who's Next is a game changer musically. The advent of sequencers and the fact that Pete actually employed them better than anyone had before or since is a quantum leap. Also, I believe that Pete's guitar tones are better and Keith's drumming is much more focused on Who's Next (Bargain=best drumming ever recorded!). In the end, I think that which album you like best depends on what particular part of the nature of The Who is strongest in you: if it is the musical innovation and explosive power, Who's Next is #1, if you are more into Pete's thoughtful lyrics then you lean toward Quad.

-Chris in Cleveland