Dylan: I'm no "mainstream artist" like Townshend

Lowgens02 at aol.com Lowgens02 at aol.com
Sat Apr 18 22:14:51 UTC 2009

Dylan is the only artist that I have walked out on in concert. I can only
describe his voice these days as that of a 90 year old woman mumbling to
herself  insanely lol.

In a message dated 4/18/2009 6:11:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
amck at thenetdr.com writes:

>  From: "Martin Bailey" <mbailey at netsoltek.co.uk>
> Date: April 16,  2009 7:52:08 AM CDT
>>
>> Bob Dylan:
>>
>>  He added: "Daltrey, Townshend ... made perfect records, so they
>> have to play them perfectly ... exactly the way people remember  them.
>> "My records were never perfect. So there is no point in  trying to
>> duplicate them."
>
> That's  rubbish.

No kidding!  One of the strongest impressions I took away  from my
very first Who show (1973) was how different their live show  was from
what I was expecting, from knowing only their studio  recordings.
Specifically, See Me, Feel Me on vinyl vs.  live.

> So how can Dylan say that the version played on Live at  Leeds is a
> duplicate of the original?

Pick  one:

A) He's a miserable lying git

B) He's been fiddling with  the truth so long (reinventing himself,
making up fake histories for  himself, etc.) that he no longer knows
what the truth  is

C)  He's remembering the way bands played BEFORE The Who --  e.g., The
Association, Perry Como, the Beach Boys, etc. -- where the  audience
expected to hear reproductions of the records, and he  lumped The Who
in with those (indicating a woeful ignorance of The  Who's live work).

D)  other...

Cheers,
Alan  McKendree
"the average Texan...carries not just a gun but a SHOTGUN."   --Pete
Townshend,  1967
TheWho mailing  list
TheWho at igtc.com