Dylan: I'm no "mainstream artist" like Townshend

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Sat Apr 18 22:11:10 UTC 2009

> From: "Martin Bailey" <mbailey at netsoltek.co.uk>
> Date: April 16, 2009 7:52:08 AM CDT
>>
>> Bob Dylan:
>>
>> He added: "Daltrey, Townshend ... made perfect records, so they
>> have to play them perfectly ... exactly the way people remember them.
>> "My records were never perfect. So there is no point in trying to
>> duplicate them."
>
> That's rubbish.

No kidding!  One of the strongest impressions I took away from my
very first Who show (1973) was how different their live show was from
what I was expecting, from knowing only their studio recordings.
Specifically, See Me, Feel Me on vinyl vs. live.

> So how can Dylan say that the version played on Live at Leeds is a
> duplicate of the original?

Pick one:

A) He's a miserable lying git

B) He's been fiddling with the truth so long (reinventing himself,
making up fake histories for himself, etc.) that he no longer knows
what the truth is

C)  He's remembering the way bands played BEFORE The Who -- e.g., The
Association, Perry Como, the Beach Boys, etc. -- where the audience
expected to hear reproductions of the records, and he lumped The Who
in with those (indicating a woeful ignorance of The Who's live work).

D)  other...

Cheers,
Alan McKendree
Townshend, 1967