Dylan: I'm no "mainstream artist" like Townshend

Martin Bailey mbailey at netsoltek.co.uk
Thu Apr 16 12:52:08 UTC 2009

Brian quoted Gigwise who quoted Bob Dylan:

> >From Gigwise.com:
> <http://www.gigwise.com/news/50475/Bob-Dylan-Im-No-Mainstream-Artist-Like-McCartney-Daltrey-and-Townshend>
>
> Bob Dylan:
>
> He added: "Daltrey, Townshend ... made perfect records, so they have to play them perfectly ... exactly the way people remember them.
> "My records were never perfect. So there is no point in trying to duplicate them."

That's rubbish.

Take Magic Bus for example: the live version is a completely different song to the studio version that "people remember".

Was the original 1965 version of My Generation really 15 minutes long, and include snippets of the future rock opera "Tommy"?  No.
So how can Dylan say that the version played on Live at Leeds is a duplicate of the original?

-MB

The information contained in this Email message is being transmitted to and is intended only for the use of the individual named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby advised that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this Email or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you received this Email in error, please immediately notify us by return Email or by telephone (0044 (0) 1403 282300) and destroy this Email message and its attachments.

NetSol Technologies Europe Ltd.