Myth Busters: Pete Townshend's Recording Secrets

Martin Bailey mbailey at netsoltek.co.uk
Thu Apr 16 12:21:17 UTC 2009

Brian quoted:

> >From Gibson.com
> <http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/myth-busters-townshend-415/>

> Myth Busters: Pete Townshend's Recording Secrets

I'm not usually that interested in what instruments The Who (or anyone) plays.  Bit too nerdy for me.
It doesn't help that I wouldn't know a Stratocaster from a drumstick.

But this was a really interesting article.

> Townshend was the consummate professional, though, and realized from very early in his career
> that that achieving a golden tone for recording and achieving an appropriate tone for
> live work are two entirely different things.

This goes a long way to explaining why The Who never captured their live sound in the studio.
Which was always something The Who always complained about.
Especially for songs like Young Man Blues, Heaven and Hell, Summertime Blues, Naked Eye, etc,
which were never satisfactorily recorded in the studio, and, hence never released (at the time).

> ... the latter-day Who album Psychoderelict.

Ooops.  They were doing so well, up to this point...

-MB

The information contained in this Email message is being transmitted to and is intended only for the use of the individual named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby advised that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this Email or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you received this Email in error, please immediately notify us by return Email or by telephone (0044 (0) 1403 282300) and destroy this Email message and its attachments.

NetSol Technologies Europe Ltd.