The Who receive Kennedy Center Honors Dec. 8

Christopher Cappiello cdowdcappiello at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 12:10:06 CDT 2008

--- On Wed, 9/10/08, O'Neal, Kevin W. <Kevin.ONeal at vtmednet.org> wrote:

> Someone correct me, but I don't recall any other
> British Invasion group or individual being honored this way.
> Clapton, perhaps?
>
> Do they get to perform?
> It's been a while since I've watched a KCH, but
> I've always taken note as to who was being honored.

The Who are the first band of ANY kind to receive the Kennedy Center Honors. Not the Beatles, not the Stones. And Elton John is the only other British musician to be honored. It's really pretty huge.

The honorees do NOT perform at the ceremony, though. In fact, they sit in the presidential box with the president and first lady for the entire ceremony, looking as dignified as possible. Kind of funny to picture Pete and Roger hanging with W.! Typically one or two people will speak about the honoree's work and, if they are a performer, another performer or act will do a tribute.

Can anybody say Pearl Jam...?

- Chris Capp