The Who To Play Parkinson's Benefit Show On 11/5 In NYC

David Fiderer dfid44 at msn.com
Fri Oct 31 11:17:46 CDT 2008

Roger Daltrey credits Michael J. Fox for the Who's current North American tour. The band had promised to perform at a benefit for the Michael J. Fox Foundation For Parkinson's Research back in 2004, but couldn't coordinate their schedules until now. The Who will perform at the A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Cure Parkinson's -- a special private benefit for the Foundation on November 5th at New York City's Waldorf Astoria.Daltrey explains how the Parkinson's benefit was the launching pad for the Who's current mini-tour: [ Click to listen if you have a backstage pass] "Because we were going to Japan, we thought rather than come from England and go East, let's go West. Maybe we can do Michael's show, do a few shows to pay for us to get over there -- and that's how the whole thing's come together. (Laughs) It was all basically built around doing that charity."The Michael J. Fox Foundation's primary mission is to help find a cure for Parkinson's disease through an aggressively funded research agenda, and the development of improved therapies for those living with Parkinson's disease.Parkinson's disease is a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system which, over time, diminishes the sufferer's speech, motor skills, among other symptoms. For more information on how you can help, go to michaeljfox.org.The Who has been tampering with their set list over their two opening shows in Auburn Hills, Michigan (October 21st) and Hamilton, Ontario (October 22nd). Opening night saw the band performing such rarities as "Tattoo," "Relay," "Mike Post Theme," and an extended jam of "Magic Bus." The numbers were replaced in Hamilton with "The Kids Are Alright," "Real Good Looking Boy," and "Naked Eye."David in New York