Modern Drummer (magazine) Wire review of Kilburn DVD

Scott Keller shkeller55 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 16:03:42 CDT 2008

FROM THE CRITIQUE DESK

by Adam Budofsky
Rock Show: Live On DVD
THE WHO LIVE AT KILBURN 1977
The Who weren't flawless live, but they were perfect, up to the end. (And by "the end," I mean 1978, the year original drummer Keith Moon died. Those who care to argue can meet me in the parking lot after school.) Flawlessness is the last thing you should be worried about when you're in a rock 'n' roll band anyway. Transcendence--now that's something to shoot for. And a Who concert was nothing if not a validation that rock 'n' roll could release you from the mundane, the difficult, the gray inequities and insecurities of daily life.

Moon was, of course, the man-child who reminded his band mates and fans, on a daily basis, not to take themselves too seriously. Yet his playing--grandiose, dramatic, and yes, at times funny--was, in its complete uniqueness and sympathy to the music, an integral part of some of the most meaningful songs ever performed on bass/guitar/drums. Keith was, famously, a living breathing contradiction.

This DVD contains the entire concert that was staged in order to have up-to-date footage for the then soon-to-be released Who documentary The Kids Are Alright, which still stands as the greatest rock doc of all time. (Again, dissenters, you know where to meet me at three o'clock.) Though Keith--and to be truthful, the rest of the lads--struggle through a couple numbers, like the new-at-the-time "Who Are You," at most other points they're simply magnificent. There are far too many cool moments here to list; just go out and buy the darned thing. I'll be waiting out back to convince those who still don’t "get" it.

PS: The double-disc Kilburn package contains previously unreleased footage of the band at the London Coliseum in 1969. The Isle Of Wight DVD from a few years back is a much better visual representation of the band during this era, but the sound here ain't half bad, and this is prime live Who, and therefore nothing to sneeze at.

Scott H. Keller
shkeller55 at yahoo.com