Melbourne, Australia March 29

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 25 15:09:41 CDT 2008

>From the Herald Sun:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24552258-39478,00.html

The Who to rock our F1 Grand Prix
BY Nui Te Koha
October 26, 2008 12:00am

BRITISH supergroup The Who will headline a rock concert at the 2009 Australian Grand Prix.

Concert industry sources say the band will perform at the Formula One event on Sunday, March 29 as part of a tour.

Race organisers and concert promoter Andrew McManus will announce the line-up this week for the show that will follow the main race, which will not start until 5pm.

US rockers Aerosmith were considered for the concert.

The Who, with founding members Daltrey and Townshend, has a controversial connection to Australia.Its 1968 tour was cut short over an in-flight incident between Adelaide and Melbourne.

Then prime minister John Gorton telegrammed the band asking it to leave Australia because members took beer on the flight and used "off-colour" language.

"That was back before you people got a sense of humour," Daltrey said in a 2004 interview. "I mean, a bottle of beer at 10 o'clock in the morning and they deported us.

"We were filthy rock and rollers. I remember the stewards called our road manager a scruffy little man.

"He took umbrage because he was actually married to quite an aristocratic English lady."

But Daltrey no longer fights the Establishment, according to US reports, because he is too busy fighting Townshend.

The reports say there is tension in the band about performing new songs and classics.

It is claimed promoters of the US tour have been ordered to keep Daltrey and Townshend apart.

The Who's 2008-2009 world tour is expected to earn $100 million. Its hits include My Generation, Pinball Wizard and Won't Get Fooled Again.

Founding drummer Keith Moon died of a drug overdose in 1978 and bassist John Entwistle of heart failure in 2002.

The new tour line up is Daltrey, Townshend, bassist Pino Palladino,keyboardist John Bundrick and Ringo Starr's son, Zak Starkey, on drums.

 -Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com