Pete on Religulous

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 06:01:29 CDT 2008

>From Page Six:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10202008/gossip/pagesix/how_maher_got_who_song_134341.htm

SOME fans of The Who, who know of Pete Townshend's deep spirituality, were surprised to hear "The Seeker" on the soundtrack of Bill Maher's
antireligion documentary, "Religulous." So Page Six contacted
Townshend, who replied by e-mail: "Bill Maher is a comedian. I am a
songwriter. I have faith in what I would call God, but I am not a
religious man. I don't want to press my views on other people. Maher
seems to have the wish to question and make fun of the sanity of we
believers. I'm happy to say I'd prefer to be my kind of crazy than his
kind of cynical, but . . . we live in a free society . . . Maher's film
is not an important moment in the history of religion . . . So when I
first refused the use of my song (for a very modest fee by the way) and
Maher badgered me, I decided to allow it. If you have problems with
this film, talk to Bill Maher. If you really want to know where I am on
my spiritual journey, listen to the song."

 -Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com