I Can't Explain - McCain

Joe Lewinski lewinski at icanon.com
Fri Oct 17 09:14:13 CDT 2008

McCain on Letterman - Introduced while I Can't Explain plays.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/82-10172008-1606696.html

  McCain tries to make peace with Letterman

By DAVID BAUDER
The Associated Press

NEW YORK - John McCain told David Letterman that "I screwed up" by
canceling a "Late Show" appearance three weeks ago, then faced a sharp
round of questioning about Sarah Palin and his campaign tactics.

Not willing to risk the wrath of Letterman again, the Republican
presidential candidate rented a helicopter to fly to New York after a
weather delay grounded his campaign airplane in Philadelphia. He had
canceled a Sept. 24 appearance during the brief suspension of his
campaign because of the economic crisis, and Letterman has been
hammering him ever since.

The band played the Who's "I Can't Explain" as McCain walked onstage at
the Ed Sullivan Theater. After he sat down, Letterman asked, "Can you stay?"

"Depends on how bad it gets," McCain answered.

Letterman had replaced McCain with the GOP hopeful's persistent critic,
MSNBC's Keith Olbermann, on Sept. 24. Olbermann was waiting in the wings
Thursday , and McCain had a pained expression when he noticed that.

Although Letterman said he was "willing to put this behind us," he came
after McCain hard with questions. He asked whether Palin was his first
choice as vice president.

"Absolutely," McCain answered.

He said he didn't know her well before choosing her, but that he was
impressed by her reputation as a reformer.

Letterman repeatedly pressed McCain on her qualifications, asking if he
was confident she could lead the country in a time of crisis.

"In all due respect, one of the people I admired most was an obscure
governor of a southern state called Arkansas and he turned out to be a
fairly successful president," McCain said, complimenting Bill Clinton.
"Ronald Reagan was a cowboy, no experience in international affairs. I
think she has shown leadership."

Read more at the link above....

Joe in Philly