Pete goes mobile with a new magic bus

Martin Bailey mbailey at netsoltek.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 07:43:29 CDT 2008

> Hey, on a related topic....
> What was the outcome of that VW Who-van give-away raffle for those who donated to the TCT?

Kevin - sorry to be the one to break the bad news to you, but you won't be driving that red, white and blue bus around VT any time soon.  (Unless you have an alias of "Anthony Jones in Irlam".)

That sure was a lovely paint job though.

I entered the competition - and would have loved to win it.  But it's not a very practical vehicle for me; had I won it, then it probably would have (sadly) ended up on Ebay.  Hopefully it's gone to a good home and deserving winner.

-MB

from:
http://www.thewho.com/index.php?module=news&news_item_id=195

9th September, 2008
THE WHO'S MAGIC BUS: TEENAGE CANCER TRUST ANNOUNCES WINNER

  <http://media.thewho.com/non_secure/images/news/magicbus_handkeysover.jpg>In Manchester today, Teenage Cancer handed over the keys to THE "Magic Bus" - a 1965 'split-screen' VW Transporter van donated by Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles - to Anthony Jones from Irlam, lucky winner of a competition set up to raise funds for the charity. Selected at random from a total of 8,878 entrants from around the world, Anthony was presented with the bus outside Teenage Cancer Trust's unit at the Christie Hospital, Manchester.

The competition was launched in April by The Who's Roger Daltrey CBE, patron of Teenage Cancer Trust, at the opening night of the charity's annual concerts at the Royal Albert Hall in London. People from all over the world entered the competition by paying £5, with all net proceeds going to Teenage Cancer Trust. The competition raised more than £32,000 (EUR40,000).

The competition attracted an overwhelming majority of entries from the UK (5,728), a large number from the USA and Germany (988 and 916 respectively), as well as entries from Switzerland, Canada, Spain and France.

The Magic Bus is specially branded with The Who's famous target logo and iconic images of the original four band members including Keith Moon and John Entwistle. The bus was designed by The Who's art director Richard Evans, who has been working with the band for more then 30 years and has created several outstanding album covers as well as Tour Designs. The sun visors have been autographed by Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend.

Anthony Jones, a construction worker from Irlam, Manchester said, "I couldn't believe it when I got the phone call to say I had won the Magic Bus - I was absolutely ecstatic! I'm a massive fan of The Who and it's such an amazing van, I will treasure it. Thank you to VW and Teenage Cancer Trust, you've made me a very happy man!"

Simon Davies, Chief Executive of Teenage Cancer Trust commented: "This van really has become a Magic Bus. The money raised from the competition will make such a difference to the many thousands of teenagers and young people diagnosed with cancer every year, enabling us to build more units for them in NHS hospitals. We are very grateful to Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles and to The Who for their contribution to this wonderful campaign."

The second prize in the competition - a copy of "Rock Band", an interactive computer game from Electronic Arts - went to Thorsten Wasmus from Hanover, the home of VW Commercial Vehicles and the VW bus.

NetSol Technologies Europe Ltd.