Quadrophenia scooter to be sold

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 25 07:11:15 CST 2008

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7747557.stm

Quadrophenia scooter to be sold

The iconic Lambretta scooter ridden by actor Phil Daniels in the film Quadrophenia is to go under the hammer.

Paul Marsh rescued the bike after spotting it rusting in a garden in Southsea, Portsmouth. He has since restored it to its former glory.

The lot will be sold at Bonhams in London on Tuesday with a list price of between £20,000 and £25,000.

The scooter was ridden by Daniels's character, James "Jimmy" Cooper, in The Who-inspired 1979 film.

Stephanie Connell from Bonhams said: "We have a few items from Quadrophenia come through the auction house but a scooter is very rare.

"It has been fully restored and is in great condition. We are expecting a lot of interest."

Mr Marsh realised the scooter featured in the film due to its distinctive number plate. The Lambretta become an integral part of British youth culture in the 1960s as favourite transport of the fashion-conscious Modernists, or Mods.

 -Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com