R.I.P. Buddy Miles

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Fri Mar 14 15:56:12 CDT 2008

Ach :-(.  Got this off a Blue Cheer message board.

>Miles, Buddy; born September 5th, 1947 in Omaha Nebraska, passed
>away Tuesday, peacefully on February 26, 2008, 10:09 p.m. in his
>home; at (60) sixty years old.

More from Wikipedia:

>Death
>
>Buddy Miles died on February 26, 2008 at his home in Austin, Texas
>at the age of 60. A cause of death has yet to be announced, although
>his publicist Duane Lee told the New York Times that Miles had been
>suffering recently from congestive heart failure.
>
>There was a history of congestive heart failure in his family. His
>sister and mother both died of the same illness.
>
>It is known that his heart had certainly been struggling, working at
>only 15%, and his health had been consistently deteriorating over
>the past few months. According to friends, "he had turned off his
>defibrillator and was ready for heaven."[5]
>
>There was no funeral; Buddy was cremated.
>
>The day before Buddy died, he heard Eric Clapton playing 'Them
>Changes' at Madison Square Garden through his cell phone. 'Them
>Changes' is now part of Clapton's set on tour as a tribute to Buddy.
>
>The UK-based newspaper The Independent ran an almost full-page
>obituary for Buddy Miles in its Friday February 29, 2008 edition.
>The title for the piece was "Buddy Miles: Flamboyant Hendrix
>drummer", and can be found on page 47.
>
>Asked how he would like to be remembered by the American music
>magazine Seconds in in 1995, Miles simply said: "The baddest of the
>bad. People say I'm the baddest drummer. If that's true, thank you
>world."[6]
>
>A memorial concert will take place on March 30 at Threadgill's on
>Riverside Drive, South Austin.

I only saw Buddy in person twice, but never saw him play.  He was
sitting on a chair at the stage entrance to MSG at one of the Who
1996 gigs.  Then he came to the Le Bar Bat show where John jammed
with Godfrey, Steve, etc. after that MSG show.  I'll have to check
but I think the band played Voodoo Child (Slight Return) that night
as a nod to him.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"the average Texan...carries not just a gun but a SHOTGUN."