My Rock Honors travelouge

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Mon Jul 21 14:48:00 CDT 2008

Long and delayed, but now that a week's gone by...

I started out being very ambivalent toward going to this show.  Time,
expense, and a one-off, short set by our guys.  Eventually, some
armtwisting by my dear friends Lauren and Stefani pushed me into
taking the plunge.  I looked at it as a gathering of friends, some of
whom I hadn't seen in too long, with the side attraction of an
enjoyable show.

First, thanks to trrishp and oz, and their family, for so graciously
opening up their vacation to host the Who Talk House.  Lauren, Shari
and I rendezvoused at LAX and went straight to the Talk House, joined
the Pottersmiths and Joyce, with the party already in progress.  Due
to some stellar groundwork by trrishp and Stefani, snacks, salad,
beer and Remy awaited!  We watched fan-obsessive video from the
Martyrs ITA show, cheering for people we knew (especially ourselves),
and reliving the event both for those who were and weren't there.
Over the hours various world-class fans arrived -- Tim & Sue, Max the
Mod with son Ian and wife Susan, Charles & Jan, John Ryan (who may be
putting out a calendar soon for *his* fans), Barry, etc. etc.  Ian
proudly mentioned that he's seen The Who five times now, so he's no
longer a beginner.  I couldn't argue.  After the sun went down, the
guitars came out and the singalong started (oz posted a link to some
of the AQO video).  Lots of fun, then Stef and I left at 11:00 to see
The Who Show at a small club, the 14 Below.  We missed the first part
of it, but as we walked in the band slammed into a short Quad set
with a guest vocalist -- the actor who played Jimmy in the LA stage
version of Quad, dressed as a mod!  There was a smattering of Sex
Pistols and Iggy Pop in his stage moves, but he sang very
well...wasn't hard to hear Roger in there.  Then they went on with
the regular vocalist, who I also liked.  The bass player, Joel
Pelletier, is recreating John's look from TKAA, debuting a white
linen vest he had to make himself, as they were impossible to find.
He did a fine job, playing a number of beautiful Fenderbirds etc.
(sorry, I'm just not a gearhead).  I was glad when it wound down
around 1:00 instead of 2:00, as 1:00 = 3:00 Texas time, and I was
starting to go out on my feet.

The following morning, Lauren was off to the beach early.  Stef and I
got left later.  After negotiated the terror that is beach parking in
CA, we made it to the thewho.com tent, we settled in the shade; hats
off to those who sat in the sun, but I get more than enough sun
already.  The guitar was out, the singers were singing the songs, and
the Remy toasts were poured under the tent...here's to John, us and
absent friends <sssip>!

Once things folded up at the beach, it was off to the hotel to dress
for success at the show.  For a paltry $9 <cough> we bought covered
parking next to the venue and I walked to the Relayers Damon &
Pythias dinner while Lauren & Stefani set out to seek their ticket
fortune on the mean sidewalks of Pauley Pavilion.  The D&P was most
excellent...in particular, seeing KC, oz and trrishp of course,
Charles & Jan, Max/Susan/Ian, and I was delighted to be mugged by
iaamg Seth and HisWife Diane, accompanied by legendary figure Cymbal
Ron, who gave Seth a Keith cymbal back in 1979 and hadn't seen The
Who since.  I genuflected appropriately (I hope), then warned him
that The Who had changed a little in 29 years.  He said he'd seen
some recent video so it wouldn't be too much of a shock :-).

Off to the venue, settled in Pino's side 7th row center, two seats
away from Duke and a friend of his (forget his name).  I was
delighted by the Foo Fighters Young Man Blues opener...it sounded
like a call to arms.  And I bought the drummer all the way.  Bargain
was a different story; Gaz C punted the lyrics repeatedly and it was
a dangerous choice anyway, for a non-Who band.  Duke said he thought
Incubus might be too poppy for The Who, but I thought they scored big
with I Can See for Miles, a tough selection, but fell flat on I Can't
Explain.  I thought Rainn Wilson was Jack Black when he appeared in
Elton John's Local Lad costume, leaning on a pinball machine, to
introduce the Flaming Lips.  The FLips have the showmanship down, but
they're in danger of  letting it overwhelm the music.  Their Tommy
medley was OK...I was glad to see the oft-neglected I'm Free in
there.  Somewhere in here Duke disappeared, not to be seen again
until he popped up in the chaotic aisle in front of Pete.

Glad to see Jack Black, but it was weird to see him laud The Who for
"being the first to rock hard", and then play their dumbest,
fluffiest track, Squeeze Box.

Pearl Jam, of course...enough has already been said, including by me
about their landmark performance.

Not much of a fan of Sandler's comedy and dumb-guy shtick, but I
enjoyed his song.  Thanks to the teleprompter, I read a couple of the
punch lines before he sang them.  And obviously he's a big fan, so
now I have something to talk about should I ever meet him.

The Who...their performance has already been dissected, not much to
add here.  Did Alyce get the Baba harmonica?  Roger handed it to
someone in her area.  During 2000 Years, the audience in front of me
started to thin out a little, providing stress-free upgrade
opportunities.  Security didn't seem to care, which was fine with me,
and I ended up in the center-left aisle, about 3rd row.  I noticed
Roger kneeling to shake hands with Alyce; she reached up to touch his
face but he was already rising and it was a clean miss.

After, waited around while Lauren and Shari had some backstage
adventures and then checked out the merch; there was nothing specific
to the show, Rock Honors etc., just general Who T-shirts and hoodies
-- which, nevertheless, held some appeal and you might be seeing some
of them being modeled at future shows.

The post-show party of Lauren, Stef, me, Joyce, Shari and the
estimable and rarely-seen Cheryl Posner convened with Tim and Sue,
and we had a rare chance to talk to Bobby P.  We asked him what he
was doing next; he said he was mixing the show, but that he didn't
want to talk about work. He repeatedly said that while this was his
life, he thought we  were all mad for doing what we do (seeing so
many shows).  I guess the difference is that at least he's getting
paid.  Maybe that's what makes us mad; we're on the wrong side of the
ledger.  We told him he was a star to us, and he said that he doesn't
believe in stardom (probably a necessary attitude or he wouldn't have
lasted this long).  We said we all enjoyed watching him rock out
offstage, and he sort of mumbled.  Then I told him we loved him, and
he invited us to bugger off.  So all was well in Whoworld.

Eventually we transplanted to the deli Joyce mentioned, where the
conversation continued nonstop, and I enjoyed the wonders of a tuna
salad sammich and a sample of Shari's matzoh ball soup, and finished
it off with pickles with mustard.  Excellent!  A group of very well-
dressed young men and women (mostly women) had filtered in while we
were there, which normally wouldn't be noteworthy, but as we were
standing up and kind of milling around prior to leaving (about 3:30),
there was a pounding on the window from outside, and when we looked,
3 or 4 of the young ladies flashed their boobs at us.  Well, really,
there's no better way to finish off a post-show breakfast, is there?
As I said at the time, maybe there was a convention in town.

By the time we made it back to the hotel, packed, and finished the
last swapping of stories, it was 6:10.  I'd thought I'd done well for
myself in booking what I thought was a late flight (10:20), but it
meant I had to set the alarm for 7:00 <groan>.  Then just to finish
it off, the supposed nonstop flight from LA to Austin developed a
fuel smell and was diverted to land in Midland to check it out, while
I tried hard to sleep on the airport floor.  Ultimately nothing came
of it, but it added a 3-hour delay. A few days later Southwest
Airlines sent a $200 voucher, which I thought was pretty cool of them.

So Who knows what fall will bring?  Not I -- not yet -- but it was
surely a great weekend with just the right amounts of rock-n-roll,
chaos, friends, and exhaustion.

Cheers,
Alan McKendree
Townshend, 1967