VH1 Rock - Honors The Who

O'Neal, Kevin W. Kevin.ONeal at vtmednet.org
Fri Jul 18 07:48:37 CDT 2008

I went to bed last night a happy man.
I really enjoyed the VH1 show.
Tea and Theatre actually made me tear up.
Roger gave a great performance and showed that he is the true heart and soul of The Who.

I had been thinking during the show how odd it must be from Pete and Roger's perspective to be sitting there watching these currently 'popular' bands playing *their* music.
And then, Pete says as much.
Pete looked like he felt somewhat melancholic about the whole thing.  Aging sucks.
To quote my father's best friend's widow...."It takes courage to age."
To have it put in front of you so blatantly....like "we better do this rock honor thang before any more Who members drop" must have been a bit difficult.
I could feel it.
But, at the same time....it was an honor, in the true sense of the word.

Man, FOO Fighters just rocked YMB.
Oh my!
Next, I'd have to give Adam Sandler a good nod for his Magic Bus rendition.
He obviously knows The Who...and well.
And, I never realized how important Squeeze Box was, but I guess it really captures The Who's comedic side.

But, the best moment for me was without question the brief interaction between Pete and Roger, right before T&T, culminating with the subtle and barely audible, yet *very* heartfelt, statement of "I love your songs, Roger."
*There.*
In that moment.....you saw the raw love between Pete and Roger.

I slept well.

Kevin in VT