Hippiefest review, Phoenix 7/11 show

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Wed Jul 16 10:55:16 CDT 2008

ObWho reminder:  former John Entwistle Band
guitarist Godfrey Townsend is playing on this
tour.  Itinerary at
http://www.hippiefest.net/tour.htm

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/music/articles/2008/07/12/20080712hippiefest.html

If you go to the link above there is a link to concert photos.

Fans spent their Friday evening traveling back to
the 1960s, a time of war protest songs, flower
power, love and peace with Hippie Fest 2008.

Fans, mostly in their 50s and 60s, came dressed
up for the occasion in their psychedelic tye-die
shirts and hippie costumes, feeling as if they
were teenagers again.

Phoenix was the first stop in the 22-city tour.

Jonathan Edwards, Badfinger featuring Joey
Molland, Janis Ian, The Turtles, featuring Flo
and Eddie, Jack Bruce of Cream, and Eric Burdon
and the Animals all played the biggest hits of
their careers.

Hosts Flo and Eddie, also known as Howard Kaylan
and Mark Volman, introduced each artist.

"The kids are at the Jonas Brothers concert
tonight, the adults are here," said Eddie.

First up was Jonathan Edwards, who is now age 61.
He started the concert with his guitar playing
timeless music, including his most popular song,
Sunshine and a soothing rendition of the poetic
This Island Earth.

Following Edwards was the first band of the
evening, Badfinger, who kicked off their
performance with Baby Blue. As they performed
Come and Get It and No Matter What, fans started
bobbing their heads and singing along to the
words.

Once Badfinger finished, Flo and Eddie came out
and gave a brief overview of facts from 1967.

"Things were happening in '67," Flo said. "It was
the year Rolling Stone Magazine got published.
Elvis married Priscilla. The Beatles put out Sgt.
Pepper. A new house cost $14,000; gasoline was
$.33.

Then they introduced the third performer, Janis
Ian, the mellowest of all the performers. "You
spend your whole life trying not to be thought of
as a chick singer," Ian joked. "I'm here to
represent the more depressing side of folk music."

The audience laughed uproariously.

She then sang Jesse.

Once the song was over, she talked about the six
artists performing at the fest, and how each of
them had a different style.

It doesn't get more different than the six of us, Ian said.

"The cool of the '60s was that you were supposed to be yourself," she said.

Ian continued on with Society's Child, one of her most famous songs.

She then spoke of her autobiographical book
released last year, and sang an accompanying
satirical song about her famous life.

"There's nothing more I enjoy than talking about
myself," Ian joked. "I wake up every morning, and
I google myself."

She finished with At 17, with fans clapping and
yelling in support during the first few lines of
the song.

The Turtles performed next with their hits Nobody
But You, It Ain't Me Babe, Elenore, You Showed
Me, and She'd Rather Be With Me.

Flo and Eddie joked that back in the 1960s, they
were "druggies" who took acid, and smoked opium.
Now they find themselves taking drugs "old
people" take.

"We spent so much money trying to kill
ourselves," Flo joked. "Now we spend so much
money trying to keep ourselves alive."

The highlight of the night was The Turtles
performing Happy Together. The whole arena stood
up, with couples putting their arms around their
loved ones as they sang the song. Some couples
got emotional and kissed.

Jack Bruce of Cream, using long high-pitched
vocals, sang songs like Sunshine of Your Love, I
Feel Free, and the bluesier Sitting on the Top
off the World.

Eric Burdon and the Animals, performed next with
a Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses. He gave an
energetic performance to hits like We Gotta Get
Out of This Place, See See Rider, It's My Life,
and Boom Boom.

Ian summed up all of the performers goals as
talented musicians wanting to have an impact on
people's lives. All six artists did just that.

"The one common thing I have with every other
artist here tonight," Ian said, "is that all of
us dream at one time or another of creating just
one piece of art that will transcend race,
culture, color and genderŠEvery artists dreams of
that."

Cheers,
--
Alan
"the average Texan...carries not just a gun but a SHOTGUN."