Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne on The Who

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 18:42:03 CDT 2008

>From Rolling Stone:
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/07/11/wayne-coyne-the-whos-music-is-really-optimistic/

Wayne Coyne: “The Who’s Music Is Really Optimistic”

Wayne Coyne’s life was changed back in Oklahoma City in the 1970s, when he
attended his first Who concert as a teenager. The Flaming Lips leader can still
talk excitedly about that night with his brothers, hearing the music erupt
onstage, watching the band explode, worrying if the green lasers just might cut
off his fingers.

By 1986, Coyne and the Flaming Lips were performing a raw medley of songs
from Tommy. And as part of Saturday’s VH1 Honors tribute concert to the Who at
UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles, the Lips will perform a typically
mind-altering take on songs from the Who’s most famous rock opera. Coyne plans
to emerge in his epic “space bubble” and begin the Lips’ set with the immortal
words: “See me, feel me, touch me, heal me…”

The show, to be broadcast on VH1 on Thursday, July 17, will also include
performances by the Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Incubus and Tenacious D (who will
play “Squeeze Box”). But this won’t be the first encounter between the Who and
the Flaming Lips. In recent years, Coyne and the Lips have occasionally stepped
onstage with Pete Townshend at his series of intimate “In the Attic” club shows,
performing Who songs and originals with the classic rock icon.

“Their music is really optimistic,” says Coyne. “There is a sense that they
believe what they’re saying. When the music is going with it, we all believe it
together. And that’s a cool thing.”

Did you get to choose what Who songs you would be doing?
Luckily, they
wanted us to do a Tommy medley. We’re like, “Fuck, yeah!” We had done this Tommy
medley in 1986. When we think of the Who doing those songs in the Live At Leeds
era — doing the most intense freak-out shit — that was the period we like the
most. We probably would have done anything they asked us, just because it’s cool
to do and to meet Pete Townshend is great.

You did this same medley in 1986?
We were such bad musicians back then.
But definitely “Sparks,” “Pinball Wizard,” “See Me, Feel Me” and especially “I’m
Free” — that has just got a fucking riff that the Damned could have played. I
think we played it like one of these hardcore American bands like Husker Du or
the Replacements back then. Of course, this rocks!

Once you guys mastered Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody,” you could probably do
anything.
I agree! That’s a fucking behemoth. Really, playing this stuff in
the way that the Who with Keith Moon and John Entwistle did — it’s really
energizes you. The Who in that period, the energy would feed the song and make
it almost better. They would find whatever groove was in a song and just
exaggerate it. It’s hard to remember that it’s just three guys playing — just a
guitar player, a bass player and a drummer. But it’s this monstrous
build-and-release of stuff. It’s awesome.

Were the Who an especially important band for you?
When I first saw the
Who, I wasn’t ready for them. I was only like 14. It was a spectacular night in
Oklahoma City and it was just fucking insane. We were sitting up at the very top
of the arena, and they were playing the “Listening to you, I get the music …”
thing, and the green lasers were literally hitting the wall above my head. Fuck!
I was thinking I could reach my hand up and they would cut my fucking fingers
off or something. And the bleachers made of concrete were literally rocking. I
remember my brother said, “Wouldn’t it be awesome if the whole place just
crumbled?”

The Who and the Flaming Lips share a certain theatricality.
Certainly
it’s a show. I talk to people all the time who tell me that with Led Zeppelin or
whatever that it was all about the music. And I’m like, “Are you fucking crazy?”
When I saw the Who, they had giant laser beams! And they jumped around, they
wore freaky clothes, and Keith Moon was saying “I’m about to fucking explode!” I
was always drawn to the idea that it was a show as well. We were really seeing
something cathartic. The way they performed it made them different, and that’s
cool. That’s what art really does.