A Man Is A Man

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Wed Jul 9 11:37:07 CDT 2008

Jon wrote:

>Alan wrote:
>>Any idea if one of Pete's worst lines ever -- "Not afraid of
>>appearing insane if he can't break a brick" -- has literary source,
>  >or is that one all Pete? ;-)
>Assuming this line is all Pete, I've often wondered why Pete chose to use
>the word "insane" rather than something like "weak" instead, considering the
>context. But in more recent years, I've had the thought that it is insane in
>itself to consider a man weak if he can't "break a brick".

But the lyrics takes for granted that a man might be judged insane
for not being able to break a brick (however bizarre that sounds),
and says the man isn't afraid of that judgement.

A real dud of a line, IMO.  I'd like to discuss it with Pete, but I
suspect he'd tell me to fuck off before I argued him into a corner.
Although I'd be happy if he could explain it in some new way that
totally made sense.  That way I wouldn't think that he
was...um...insane! :-D

Not afraid of appearing insane if he writes a dumb line,
--
Alan
"the average Texan...carries not just a gun but a SHOTGUN."