Independent on Pete's New Year

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 06:03:13 CST 2008

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/pandora/article3303641.ece

Ringo's Starr turn brings in the New Year

 While Sir Paul McCartney's performance on Jools Holland's Hootenanny show turned out to be a bit of a cheat (the show was recorded several days before), his former band- mate Ringo Starr was happy to entertain new year revellers for real.

I hear the Starr spent the evening with fellow musical veterans Eric Clapton and Pete Townshend performing to a small VIP audience at a secret charity gig in Surrey.

"The band was called Totally Abandoned for the night and obviously boasted a fairly impressive line-up," I'm told. "It was very much a word-of-mouth thing and tickets were under £50. They sung mainly old classics,they were great."

It's likely guests woke up the following morning without the traditional New Year's Day fuzziness. Since all three guest stars have successfully fought drink problems over the years, I'm told refreshments were fairly thin on the ground.

-Brian in Atlanta

The Who This Month!

http://www.thewhothismonth.com