Roger signs off on The Beatles

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 12:04:43 CST 2008

>From Metro.co.uk:
http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/article.html?in_article_id=106294&in_page_id=7

Unpopular Beatles booted off air
by ANDREI HARMSWORTH - Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Beatles may be the greatest band in chart history but it looks like the awesome foursome's popularity just ran out after a national radio station bravely banned playing their hits.

Virgin Radio breakfast host Christian O'Connell pulled famous chart toppers like 'Hey Jude' and 'She Loves You' from his playlist after listeners sensationally voted off the Cavern Club heroes following an on air debate.

The band's fate was sealed when a listener known as 'Brendan' called up O'Connell pleading for him to boycott Paul McCartney and place him in the station's gimmick 'People Carrier of Doom'.

'Brendan' also insisted Sir Paul's career died with John Lennon and the Beatles were 'never that good anyway'.

Stunned, the breakfast DJ then consulted The Who singer Roger Daltrey who failed to spare his contemporaries saying: 'I didn't like all their music. I can understand that everything has it's sell by date'.

O'Connell then put Brendan and Daltrey's gripe to the nation, which resulted in thousands of listeners sensationally voting the Liverpudlians off air.
He told listeners: 'I love the Beatles. I've always been a big fan of Paul McCartney and as a station we've always supported them. I'm surprised and disappointed by the decision but it's my duty to honour it.'

-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com