TOWNSHEND REVEALS A 2008 WISH-LIST FOR THE WHO

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Mon Feb 11 19:35:27 CST 2008

> From: "Bruce" <bkawak at charter.net>
> Date: February 8, 2008 3:02:38 PM CST
>
> T Bone [Burnett] does have a Who connection. He opened for The Who
> several times in 1982 including the show I saw.  I thought he was
> awful.  It was 20+ years later that I found out that Mick Ronson
> was in his band at the time.  Ronson was making chump change
> touring with Burnett after turning down two grand a night to tour
> with Bob Seger.

The Burnett/Ronson connection goes back to at least 1975.  I can't
resist mentioning that in spring 1976 I saw the Rolling Thunder
Review in San Antonio which featured, among others, Bob Dylan, Joan
Baez, Mick Ronson, and T-Bone Burnett.  I don't remember anything in
particular about T-Bone...he was basically a backing guitarist...but
I'll never forget Joan Baez enveloping Mick Ronson in her arms from
behind as he leaned back into her as he played.  With the lighting,
it looked like a modern rock-Madonna sculpture, all the more touching
because I thought of Ronson as a bad-boy outlaw type.

Afterward we hung out at the stage door and ended up talking to T-
Bone for a short time, during which he mentioned that the band was
going to hang out the following off-night in Austin, at the Rome
Inn.  I tipped off an Austin friend who was a huge Dylan fan and he
managed to meet Bob in the parking lot, and talk to him for a short
time.  While they were talking, some random guy gave Dylan a joint,
which Dylan didn't want and offered it to my friend.  He kept it for
years after :-).

Cheers,
Alan McKendree
Townshend, 1967