TOWNSHEND REVEALS A 2008 WISH-LIST FOR THE WHO

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Fri Feb 8 15:35:11 CST 2008

> > We also talked about revisiting Quadrophenia the way we did it in the
> > '90s. This is all work for the Autumn.
>
> Why?   Been there.  Done that.  It's hard to get excited about them
> performing Quad in it's entirety again.

I totally agree.  I was kinda surprised reading that.  And they keep
mentioning doing something for the 40th anniversary of TOMMY in
2009, too.  Yawn.  Just give us that expanded CD version of QUAD
with the bonus tracks & outtakes.  "Jump!  Jump!  Jump!"

> > Roger is working on his own idea for an album for us,
>
> Does this mean Roger's writing a song?
> Or is this something bigger?
> Is Roger coming up with an idea for a mini-opera?

Sounds like Roger is just lining up a producer (T-Bone Burnett) for
the next studio album.  This might cause some conflict if Pete, as he's
stated, wants to record the album on his own without making it a
"band in the studio" project.  What's he gonna do, just hand T-Bone
the finished recordings & say, "Here.  Produce this?"  A producer
works along side the artist(s) in the studio.  He or she is in charge
of the recording process & shares input & ideas regarding content,
as well.  Pete likes to work alone.  Good luck.

> > I am hoping to come up with some songs for a more conventional
> > Who record.
>
> Ah, music to my ears.

Yeah, I'm surprised no one else made mention of this.  Sounds like
Pete is back-tracking a little.  Didn't he just recently say that the new
Who has moved beyond that?  Perhaps the lower-than-expected
sales of ENDLESS WIRE has given him pause.

- SCHRADE in Akron