Superbowl

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Tue Feb 5 14:09:43 CST 2008

> Sparks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, we need to define where "Sparks" begins, where
"Amazing Journey" ends, & what the "transition" part is!

To me, "Sparks" begins with the slow-tempo part where
Pete is playing that simple (but beautiful) pattern, mirrored
by Entwistle, with Moon accenting only on the bass drums.
The pretty part.

And IMO, "Amazing Journey" ends when they launch into
that half-time jam that I think is in "E."  Thus begins the
"transition" period, where Pete solos first, there's a chord
change, & OX mesmerizes with *his* brilliant solo runs.
(Moon mesmerizes throughout.)

The part I hear in those Gatorade 2 commercials is the jam
in "E," which goes on for some time & only features sharply
played chords by Pete, along with some Spanish-influenced
flourishes.  Plus, those weird bird-like sound effect noises!
All contained....within....The Transition Phase.  Not "Amazing
Journey," not "Sparks," but somewhere....in between.
(One of my favorite Who instrumental passages, BTW.)

- SCHRADE in Akron