Lennon Song for Christmas

John pureneasy at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Dec 26 23:21:52 UTC 2008

Martin, re

> > This reminds me of own "Alternative Christmas CD" which I burnt a few
> > years ago.  It contains more unusual Christmas songs, that you don't
> > normally get to hear.

I have, partly at the insistence of my daughter, who wanted a Christmas CD a
few years ago, burnt a CD of "pop/rock" Christmas songs which we've
discussed on another list I'm on.

The original CD I burnt for myself (compiled from various sources, mainly a
Christmas CD I bought, a cassette I had of Christmas songs and a couple of
newspaper freebies, together with one newer song that was mentioned on Who
lists a couple of years ago, is

Band Aid          		Do they know it's Christmas
Greg Lake         		I believe in Father Christmas
Jethro Tull       		Ring Out Solstice Bells
T Rex					Christmas Bop
Pretenders        		2000 Miles
Waitresses        		Wrapping Paper
Jona Lewie        		Stop the Cavalry
John Lennon       		Happy Christmas (War is over)
Slade             		Merry Christmas everybody
Wham!             		Last Christmas
The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl   Fairytale of New York
Mariah Carey                  All I Want For Christmas
Elton John                    Step Into Christmas
Bing Crosby & David Bowie     Little Drummer Boy
Paul McCartney                Wonderful Christmas Time
Wizzard                       I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday
Mike Oldfield                 In Dulci Jubilo
Queen                         Thank God its Christmas
Spiraling				Do you hear what I hear?

Additional tracks I'm going to dig out and add to it are

AC/DC					I Want A Mistress For Christmas
The Darkness			Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End)
Spinal Tap				Christmas With The Devil
The Kinks				Father Christmas

It avoids all the crap stuff like Westlife, and also (rather sadly the Cliff
Richard songs. I am considering a CD of the "crooners" songs that feature
heavily on tv and radio this year, eg It's looking a lot like Christmas" to
complement it.

There are obviously other songs, eg Shaking Stevens and Bruce Springsteen,
but I'm not overenamoured of those.

Your CD sounds quite interesting though!

John