pete and rog on "early show" this morning

Lowgens02 at aol.com Lowgens02 at aol.com
Wed Dec 24 05:33:51 UTC 2008

Thanks Ernie.

Here is the official CBS video and transcribe.......

_http://www.cbsnews.com/st...e/music/main4684429.shtml_ (http://www.
cbsnews.com/st...e/music/main4684429.shtml)

(CBS)  The Kennedy Center recognizes artists who've made lifetime
contributions to  American culture through the performing arts. This
year's include rock icons  Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend, founding
members of The Who. They sat down  with Early Show co-anchor Julie
Chen, who began a series of profiles of the  2008 honorees.

Chen: They were the voice of a generation, and now  Roger Daltrey and
Pete Townshend are Kennedy Center Honorees.

Daltrey:  I think it's amazing. And especially when I looked on the
Internet and read  -- 'cause I didn't really know much about it. And --
you get (the award) for  your contribution to American culture, I
thought that was really interesting,  considering everything we
learned came from you in the first place!  (laughter) So, it's a
rather interesting circle, bringing it  back.

Townshend: It's interesting that all of a sudden, we're being  honored
as artists. And that's lovely for us. Because, we've always felt  that
what we did had an artistic component. But you know, in the  early
days of rock, if you said you -- you were -- you were involved in  the
arts, you were described as pretentious. So, we've (laughter) put  up
with a lot of that. But, it's a part of what we do. Only a part of
what  we do. We're really circus animals. (laughter)

Chen: Growing up in  working class London, Daltrey and Townshend went
to school  together.

Daltrey: But I was a year earlier, so I'm a year older. And --  I got
kicked out of school at the age of 15. ... I didn't wanna be  there,
to be honest. ... One of the biggest favors I ever got done in  my
life was getting kicked out of that school. They weren't teaching  me
anything I wanted to learn."

Chen: Daltrey turned his love of Elvis  into a dedication to rock 'n'
roll. With Townshend, John Entwistle and other  friends, they formed a
band called "The Detours." And in 1964, with Keith  Moon playing
drums, Pete, Roger, John and Keith became "The Who," and  exploded.

Daltrey: All of a sudden, the -- you know, it was -- 'This is  it.'
This was the machine that was gonna do it."

Chen: Their sound  touched the youth and created a musical revolution.

Townshend: As a band,  we found our purpose when we found that what we
could do is express that  frustration that the -- our audience had,
that they had no -- function or  purpose.

Chen: They were soon known as the coolest live act in music,  living
the rock 'n' roll dream. Always one to push the limit, Townshend  next
created "Tommy," and the rock opera was born. Daltrey became a  rock
god, which made him uncomfortable.

Daltrey: That was the first  and hopefully the only time in my life
where my feet had kind of started to  lift off -- off the ground a
bit. ... But, it wasn't real. It was -- and I  thought, 'Oh, I don't
like this.'

Chen: Tragically, Keith Moon died  suddenly in 1978, and John
Entwistle passed away in 2002. While Roger and  Pete have their ups
and downs, it's the mutual respect of the music and each  other that
always brings them together.

Chen: What would you say is  Pete's gift as a songwriter?

Daltrey: He has the ability to connect with  -- with -- I think the
inside of almost anybody. And express things everybody  feels --
really, really deeply inside them. And put them in -- into a --  a
melody and a music framework, which is rock 'n' roll, but  it's
classically structured.

Chen: What is Roger's gift as a  vocalist?

Townshend: I think Roger gives a face and a voice and a passion  to my
writing and my work that I -- I'm unable to bring to it myself.  I
stop short ... you know, very few other people have tackled them,  Who
songs. And I don't think it's because they're difficult to do. I
think  it's because, once Roger has done a Who song, it's difficult to
come  close.

You can see the 31st annual Kennedy Center honors Tuesday. Dec.  30th
at 9 p.m. EST, 8 central, on CBS

In a message dated 12/24/2008 12:13:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
JOELTLE515 at aol.com writes:

> [...]
so
those who missed it were able to see  it.<<<<<<

In a  message dated 12/23/2008 5:04:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Lowgens02 at aol.com writes:

> Thanks for posting it Ernie, I taped  it and that youtube link was put up
by

> my brother,  Marc.(Madrevolt).

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. The NEW
AOL.com.(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000019)