Lennon Song for Christmas

Martin Bailey mbailey at netsoltek.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 08:52:13 UTC 2008

FlashGordon said:

> This is the Christmas track circulating this year.  Time to revisit the
> song, I think.  Click on the box in the upper left of their site.

> <http://www.myspace.com/thebookoflaw>

It's a nice enough cover version.  Some wobbly backing vocals though.

You've sparked off my generic Christmas music rant:

It's good to hear new cover versions of Christmas songs.  It's tiresome to hear the same versions of the same old songs every year.  Every Xmas is like a Who tour: you look forward to it all year, and you get the occasional nice surprise, but they cost too much and ultimately you're left disappointed at hearing the same old songs again.

I always thought: if (or when) I ever become a huge rock star, then I would be sure to release a Christmas single.  It doesn't even need to be very good.  It would mean guaranteed airplay every year, forever.

In my opinion, there should be more cover versions of these classic Xmas tunes; shake things up a bit.

This is something I was thinking about yesterday, after hearing The Pogues / Kirsty MacColl sing "Fairy Tale of New York" again for the 20th time this year.  I was imagining who could do a good cover version of that, and do it justice.  Someone like David Bowie and Lily Allen.

My wish for next Xmas is that someone (eg: the BBC / Radio 1) will gather together all the best music artists and get them to re-record their favourite Christmas songs.  Imagine The Who doing Slade's "Merry Christmas Everyone"; Roger would be able to scream "IT'S CHHHRRRISSSTMASSSSSS!!!!" even better than Noddy could.

Or imagine Tenacious D covering The Who's "Christmas".

But: don't let the music stop you all from having a wonderful Christmas (/ whatever).
Merry Christmas everyone.

-MB

NetSol Technologies Europe Ltd.