Condoleezza Rice on Pete and Roger

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 05:29:39 PST 2008

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO0812/S00205.htm

Remarks at the Kennedy Center Honors DinnerTuesday, 9 December 2008, 1:14 pm
Press Release: US State Department
Secretary's Remarks: Remarks at the Kennedy CenterHonors Dinner
Remarks at the Kennedy Center HonorsDinner
Secretary Condoleezza Rice
BenjaminFranklin Room
Washington, DC
December 7, 2008

Peter Townshend.
(Applause.) As part of one of the greatest and loudest rock bands of all times, you have thrilled us with more than four decades and wowed audiences worldwide. Rolling Stone magazine ranked you as one of the greatest guitarists ever, and it’s no wonder that your electrifying guitar riffs and soulful songwriting have made you best at talking about yourgeneration. (Applause.)

Roger Daltry. (Applause.) It has been said that you made your first guitar from a block of wood, and I would dare say that nothing’s been the same in the music world since then. Combining the words rock and opera, Tommy transformed the genre, blending the structure of operatic storytelling with the vibrancy of rock. And I would imagine that every rock artist who has ever swung a microphone on stage and done it well owes credit to you.

Together, as part of The Who, you and Pete revolutionized the landscape of music and forever have made it a part ofour hearts. (Applause.)

 -Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com