Washington Times on Kennedy Honors

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 05:44:48 PST 2008

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/dec/07/bushes-host-kennedy-center-honors/

George Stevens Jr., the man who created the Honors 31 years ago and still produces the yearly extravaganza, wasn't worried about a bust-upover the weekend, though...

...While Mr. Stevens shared some time with a reporter at the rehearsal, his son Michael Stevens, who has helped his father write and produce the event for six years now, interrupted.

"The house is vibrating," he says, as rehearsals for the Who tribute get underway. It's strange that the younger Mr. Stevens is the one worried about the sound levels as some of the biggest names in rock show off their versions of Who classics. The elder Stevens admits he let his son book those acts. The founder of the American Film Institute does add, though, that when it comes to film, "I'm unrivaled." He speaks with excitement when he talks about the stars lined up to pay homage to Mr. Freeman.

The Kennedy Center Honors are one of America's highest artistic honors and both members of the Who, one of the most successful bands of the British invasion, were pleased to receive them.

"It's been very pleasant," Mr. Townsend said Saturday night. "I think if it was happening in Britain, it would be more stiff."

Mr. Daltrey said that "coming from our country and getting this, it means so much. Especially with rock 'n' roll, which is so indigenously American."

They were toasted at the dinner by Dave Grohl, frontman of the Foo Fighters, who talked about how their distinctive sound influenced his own music. "They seemed like snotty punks from England and I think that if it weren't for the Who, we wouldn't have had punk rock, which was the music I grew up playing here in Washington, DC," he told The Times.

 -Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com