Woodstock Film 2009 Upgrade

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Thu Aug 7 19:48:15 CDT 2008

==========
For the first time, some never-before-published key festival performances
will be seen in their entirety!

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/woodstock-ultimate-collectors-edition-dvd--blu-ray-in-2009/5791

Burbank, Calif. - On August 15, 2008, it will be thirty-nine years ago to
the day that some half-million people gathered in upstate New York for
a three-day festival featuring some of the greatest rock 'n' roll performers
of all time. Warner Home Video has announced its plans to celebrate the
40th anniversary of the music history milestone July 28, 2009 by releasing
a spectacular Ultimate Collectors Edition (UCE) of the Oscar-winning
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music.

The restored and remastered release will include more than an hour of
newly discovered Festival performances, some never-before-published
in their entirety, from a number of artists, including The Who, Joe
Cocker, Canned Heat, Joan Baez, Country Joe McDonald and Country
Joe And The Fish (with more to be announced). The release will
incorporate reflections and perspectives from musicians, celebrities,
influencers and other giants in the entertainment industry on the cultural
significance of Woodstock 40 years later.

The Ultimate Collector's Edition (Blu-ray Hi-Def & DVD) will include
the four-hour Director's Cut, remastered from original elements and
scanned at 2K with audio 5.1 mix supervised by director Michael
Wadleigh. Eddie Kramer, the concert's original chief engineer - who
was on-site for the festival (and the engineer of several Jimi Hendrix
albums) - is overseeing the new audio mix of all of the recently found
added footage.

Special features include a filmmaker's commentary, replicas of hand-
written notes from Festival attendees, The '60s And The Woodstock
Generation (a 40 minute documentary film by noted filmmaker Robert
Kline adapted from his book "Children of the '60s"), studio archive
letters and other souvenir collectible items. The film has been on
moratorium since January of this year and will continue to be unavailable
to the public for more than a year and a half until its DVD release next
year. Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music will also be available as a
stand-alone DVD.

In making the announcement, Jeff Baker, WHV´s Executive VP and
General Manager, Theatrical Catalog, stated, "The music, artists and
spirit of Woodstock resonate as strongly today as in 1969. We´re
certain the film will strike a chord with those who remember, and may
have even attended, Woodstock, but we also believe the music -
some in extended cuts - will appeal to today´s youth generation who
not only love rock music but are equally as committed now to the values
surrounding Woodstock, like spirit of community, caring for the en-
vironment and idealistic change.

"Additionally, since we think of the Ultimate Collector´s Edition as our
'signature dish,' if you will, we're very excited that we'll be giving the
same attention to this iconic film as we have to our other top-tier titles
such as Harry Potter, Blade Runner, JFK and upcoming, A Christmas
Story and Casablanca.

Woodstock alumni David Crosby noted, "Woodstock was more than
just a concert; it was an event. It was a time for our generation to
speak up and let everyone know we had a voice. Whether you were
there or are discovering the film for the first time, it still holds up 40 years
later and now will speak to a whole new generation."

In June of this year, The Museum at Bethel Woods completed con-
struction and opened its facility, located near the historic site of the 1969
concert. The museum features state-of-the-art multi-media exhibits,
engaging programs and educational events.