Is Pete Clueless? New Heavy Blog

Lowgens02 at aol.com Lowgens02 at aol.com
Sat Apr 26 10:55:02 CDT 2008

Pete's Blog
26th April, 2008

Clueless

Rob Lee  your webmaster came to see me on Thursday. You people probably don't
know what a  fabulous man he is, and how much he cares about me, The Who, and
you  subscribers. One day maybe, he will give you the story about his own
background,  it is fascinating. Last Tuesday I had a lunch meeting with Roger and
the two Who  managers Bill Curbishley and Robert Rosenberg. We were trying to
come up some  kind of decision for the future, mainly - I suppose - for
Roger's sake, but also  so we could get some positive news to our band members, and
our fans. We all  feel in the air at the moment.

I sat fairly quietly. I don't want the Who  to evaporate before my eyes, but
I can't see how to push it forward without some  kind of cohesive creative
strategy, or Great New Idea to carry me along. That is  how I've always worked in
the past. Today is no different for me.

Roger  and I are very different and have different needs. I find playing Live
and  touring with the old music very easy, I enjoy it, but it doesn't rock my
world.  Roger finds playing Live tough, sometimes he has to dig very deep to
pull it  out, often he seems unhappy or pained while performing, but there is
no question  - being on stage in The Who rocks Roger's world. He would prefer
to do that than  almost anything else under the sun. I hope this explains the
confusing facial  expressions that come from Rog and me sometimes on stage. We
certainly try to  support each other these days.

What rocks my world? Feeling I am creating  something new. That's what I live
for. The early work of The Who has become so  well known that it's hard to
rise above it, but every artist with more than a  few hit records has this
problem. New material has to be solidly supported  because fans want to meld it
into what has gone before to create a continuum  that the artists themselves might
 not want to support.

On Tuesday Rob  Lee sent me an email reproducing a couple of posts from folks
on my Forum page,  asking when I was going to say something? It seemed to be
amazing timing. There  I was, a few hours after a meeting with Roger, unable
to give him a single thing  that would help him feel better, and Rob Lee was
telling me I should speak to  the fans.

Instead, I fired out a short noncommittal statement, and on  Thursday met
with Rob himself. He's always great to hang out with. In the  morning on Thursday
I had called Rog and told him I wanted to record with the  band in September,
and do a Pacific tour in the autumn and winter of this year.  He was over the
moon. He was already worrying about next year, and the year  after that, but
it was good to make him happy.

When I put the phone down  I emailed the band, and our main crew with the
good news. We would record in  September and tour in October to December.

Today I changed my mind.

I must not commit to studio time or show dates, especially not to long
tours, without some kind of creative programme. I don't know whether I can write
songs for The Who. I don't know if I can come up with some idea, some story,
some angle, that will make me feel good about being the writer for The Who.
Most  important of all I don't know if I write something whether I should try to
force  The Who to carry it. With The Boy Who Heard Music squashed into what
became Wire  & Glass on Endless Wire I was happy with what we did, but sad to
lose drive  on the bigger story, the bigger idea.

Now that kind of sadness for me as  a writer happens whether it was a Great
Idea or not. Who knows? Who cares, but  me? What I must do is make sure I allow
myself to write, make mistakes, and make  time to assess whether what I have
on my desk makes sense for The Who.

So  this morning I emailed everyone to tell them I've changed my mind. I'm
not mad.  I'm not selfish. I might be a little weak sometimes, to allow myself
to make  decisions based on factors that have nothing to do with art, music,
ideas,  change, life, expression or creativity - but I do want to honour our old
 friendships, play the old music together, honour our desire to see you
people,  and to meet new fans, play new places and so on. That's what tears me
apart. But  I really do have to be strong enough to admit that today I really do
not have a  clue what to do next. Something will come. It always does. But
that's where I am  today. Clueless.

listings at AOL Autos.