who compilation poll of sorts

Martin Bailey mobailey at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 9 03:45:25 CDT 2008

JOELTLE515 at aol.com started the ball rolling with this:

> which songs would you choose? in other words, if you were to introduce the
> music of this band to
> someone who hasn't heard them yet, what would be on your collection?

That's something I did for a friend a couple of years ago (December 2006).
He wanted to hear more of The Who's music, and he knew I was the best person
to ask.

I made him three disks:

    1  - Studio
    2  - Live
    3  - copy of Endless Wire.  (To prove that they "still had it")

I think its important to make the distinction between "Studio Who" and "Live
Who" like this; they're such different beasts.  Looking back at the songs
selections now - it all seems a little odd...

Disk 1 - Studio:

1. Rotosound Strings
2. I Can See For Miles
3. The Seeker
4. Long Live Rock
5. I Am The Sea
6. The Real Me
7. The Punk And The Godfather
8. Bell Boy
9. Doctor Jimmy
10. Slip Kid
11. Tattoo
12. Happy Jack
13. Pictures Of Lily
14. The Kids Are Alright
15. Heinz Baked Beans
16. Boris The Spider
17. Do You Think It's Alright?
18. Fiddle About
19. Substitute
20. Magic Bus
21. Rael 1
22. Bargain
23. Who Are You

At this point, I'm thinking: "what weird choices.  Where are all the best
songs?"
But this first disk shows the diversity of the band: the humour, the
well-known singles, the obscure-but-brilliant stuff.  The best stuff is yet
to come....

Disk 2 - Live:

1. Heaven And Hell
2. Baba O'Riley
3. A Quick One
4. Young Man Blues
5. My Generation (LAL version, natch)
6. Drowned
7. Behind Blue Eyes
8. Naked Eye (Live At The Young Vic, 1971)
9. Won't Get Fooled Again
10. Tommy Can You Hear Me?
11. Pinball Wizard
12. Amazing Journey
13. See Me, Feel Me/Listening To You

Damn, that really makes me want to make myself a copy of this CD right
now...

I then posted the CDs to him - he was living in Sweden at the time.   He got
them just in time for Christmas.  I didn't resent paying for the postage,
not just because he was an old friend, but because I knew how much he'd
enjoy them.  And Who music deserves to be enjoyed by everyone.

-MB