AJ Vinyl

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Thu Apr 3 09:01:05 CDT 2008

>From: Lowgens02 at aol.com
>
>I called my local Best Buy and the girl on the phone said she
>had no idea what vinyl was and that she never even heard
>of the word :(

Yeah...get used to it, guys-n-gals, if you even know what vinyl is,
much less own some, you might as well go get an "Old Fart" tattoo on
your arm (or forehead).  Maybe a "Music Historian" tattoo for those
under 40.

Last year I brought my Tommy and Quad vinyls to work to show a
colleague the beautiful artwork, and another guy I work with, who was
about 18, opened up Tommy, and after I pointed out the beautiful
triptych art and libretto, he slid out a disc and said, "What are
these, giant CDs?"  "Ha, ha, yeah, giant CDs", I said.  Turned out he
was serious.  Not only had he literally never handled a vinyl disc,
he had no idea how they were played.  We made a field trip to a
listening room in a high-end stereo store where I actually showed him
how a turntable worked.  He was fascinated, like I'd pulled a baby
dinosaur out of my pocket and let it walk around.  It was a defining
moment in feeling old.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"the average Texan...carries not just a gun but a SHOTGUN."