Kilburn 15th December 1977

Martin Bailey mbailey at netsolcq.com
Tue Sep 25 04:20:48 CDT 2007

Bruce said this:

> Who Are You jam from Kilburn 12/15/77. Everyone I've heard from says footage is not
> as bad as it's reputation. Fans I respect were using words like "awesome."
> Furthermore, during the Q&A Nigel said the footage was brilliant and they were going
> to release "something" in the coming months! So look for a Live at Kilburn DVD next
> year.

Which made me search for this:

http://www.thewholive.de/details/index.php?id=105&Tracklisting=&GroupID=0&Tag=15&Monat=12&Jahr=1977&Stadt=&Halle=&LandID=0&StateID=0

or

http://tinyurl.com/3xzcp4

No surprises in the setlist.  Weird choice of selection from Tommy: PW, IF and then "Tommy's Holiday Camp" as the climax!?!

I can imagine that most of the show was pretty terrible, but the "Who Are You jam" was good enough to include in the film.

If Nigel says the footage was "brilliant" - is he really talking about the Who's performance, or just the recording quality?

I'm sure there's better candidates for potential DVD release than this?

-MB

Here's what the site says:

Thu, 15 December 1977:

London, Kilburn Gaumont State

Setlist

I Can't Explain, Substitute, Baba O'Riley, My Wife, Behind Blue Eyes, Dreaming From The Waist, Pinball Wizard, I'm Free, Tommy's Holiday Camp, Summertime Blues, Shakin' All Over, My Generation, Join Together, Who Are You, Won't Get Fooled Again

Lineup

Roger Daltrey 	Vocals, Harmonica
John Entwistle 	Vocals, Bass
Keith Moon 		Vocals, Drums
Pete Townshend 	Vocals, Guitar

Info

Dave Marsh wrote about this show: "The Kilburn show was a disaster. Moon hadn't practised 'in three years' (in John's words), and he was a nervous wreck, distraught at having to face a public appearance in such gruesome physical condition. For the first time, there was no way to conceal his weaknesses: They showed in his potbelly and in his playing. The rest of the band was almost as nervous - it had been fourteen months since Toronto. 'That was the first time I can remember being drunk before a show,' said Entwistle. Between their ragged playing and the necessity of stopping and starting while camera angles and lenses were changed, the show was such a negative experience that no one could have blamed them if none of the Who ever took a stage again." (Dave Marsh, Before I get old - The story of The Who, page 494).

Rating

This show has been rated  (3.2 out of 5 width 10 vote(s) total)

All currently agreed CQ Systems Ltd Terms & Conditions and product and service Warranties are implicitly assumed with this Email.

NetSolCQ (CQ Systems Ltd trading as NetSolCQ). Registered Office Address: Planet House, North Heath Lane, Horsham RH12 5QE West Sussex England. Registered in England No 1998080. VAT:826611533