They made my dream come true?

Jim M nakedi at comcast.net
Sat Sep 15 09:34:34 CDT 2007

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Lewinski"

> Was listing to this song frequently as it comes up before one of my
> current
> favorite song, and it is short enough to listen to as a queue up to the
> song
> I want to hear on my ipod.     When Pete sings the chorus, the voice he
> uses
> sounds like that of a dopey fan or some groupie.   Is that the impression
> that
> others have of this?
>
> It could also be the artist that sang the first part (i.e. on of the
> Glass House)
> and is now being overcome with emotions as they reflect on all of
> this.  I doubt
> this, but could be.
>
> Thoughts?

The literal meaning in the story is that The Glass Household made Ray High's
dream of music shared on the internet come true.  There's an interesting
quote I hadn't seen from Pete in this link, though, that mentions how it
pertains to fans and tragedies like Cincinnati.

Jim M

http://www.thewho.net/linernotes/EndlessWire.html
THEY MADE MY DREAM COME TRUE 1'13
(Pete Townshend) © 2006 Eel Pie Publishing Ltd. / BMG Music Publishing, Ltd.

Vocals: Pete Townshend

Bass: Pino Palladino

Drums: Peter Huntington

Pete: "Still in his cell, Ray High can observe the kids' rise to fame while
meditating. He foresees a tragedy, someone at the band's biggest ever, and
last, concert will die. He rues the fact that the rock industry seems unable
to change. What is never clear is whether the concert he foresees ever takes
place in reality, or actually remains a dream forever."

Pete gave more of the background for this song in a Sept. 10, 2006 interview
in The Republican (Springfield, Mass.): "In this part of the story the aging
narrator who is singing refers to two tragedies. One is an incident a little
like the Stones' Altamont or the Who's Cincinnati, where audience members
die. The other incident is the possible death of a member of the young band,
maybe murdered by one of his band mates; it isn't entirely clear. The dream
he sings about is that they bring computerized tailor-made music to the
Internet..."