Townshend To Play At Zep Reunion!

Joe Lewinski lewinski at icanon.com
Wed Sep 12 10:50:05 CDT 2007

Discovered by Scott:   Posted by me on Scott's behalf.

Led Zeppelin confirm reunion gig
[]

Led Zeppelin in the 1970s

Led Zeppelin sold more than 100 million albums in the US alone
[]

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment//2/hi/entertainment/6989929.stm>The
Led Zeppelin legend
Rock group Led Zeppelin are to reform for a
tribute concert to the Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun.

Singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and
bassist John Paul Jones will perform together for the first time in 19 years.

Tickets for the one-off show at the O2 arena in
London on 26 November will cost £125 and be allocated by ballot.

Pete Townshend and Bill Wyman will also perform.
Ertegun, who signed Led Zeppelin in the 1970s, died last year.

"During the Zeppelin years, Ahmet Ertegun was a
major foundation of solidarity and accord," Plant said.

"For us, he was Atlantic Records and remained a
close friend and conspirator. This performance
stands alone as a tribute to the work and life of a longstanding friend."

[]

[]
  I will auction off my blood, organs, and all
worldly possessions - think I'm kidding?
[]

Led Zeppelin fan
[]

<http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=7302&edition=1&ttl=20070912104842>Send
us your comments
The news is likely to spark a huge rush for
tickets as devoted fans around the world scramble
to get into what could be the band's last show.

Promoter Harvey Goldsmith said tickets would only
be available to those who registered on a
dedicated website - and that a limit of two
applications per household had been imposed.

Fans have been excitedly discussing the show on
message boards - but many are concerned about how
difficult it will be to get a ticket.

"Who wants to join me sleeping outside the O2
until I can get a ticket?" wrote one.

Robert Plant (left) and Jimmy Page in 1998

Robert Plant (left) and Jimmy Page recorded together in the 1990s
"And if that doesn't work, I can also sell myself
into slavery, or if all of me is not wanted, I
will auction off my blood, organs and all worldly
possessions. Think I'm kidding?"

Another wrote: "Anybody got three grand to spare
for a ticket? I bet that's what the going rate
will be. Touts will have a field day with this one."

And another comment said: "The tickets will be
silly money to start with and the sharks will make a killing.

"It will be hard for them to perform anywhere
near their old levels, and I fear there will be a whole lotta disappointment!"

Uncut magazine writer Chris Roberts told BBC
Radio Five Live: "A younger generation - as well
as the people who might remember Led Zeppelin
from the first time around - are very excited about this.

[]

[]
  They're pretty much the Picasso of heavy rock
[]

Chris Roberts
Uncut magazine
"Reunion tours are big at the moment - The
Police, Genesis, etc - but this is the one most
people really didn't think would happen.

"They're pretty much the Picasso of heavy rock.
Led Zeppelin's albums have certainly lasted the
test of time and they're pretty much the template of heavy rock at its best."

With their pounding, blues-influenced anthems and
explosive stadium shows, the band paved the way
for artists across the worlds of heavy metal and alternative rock.

Their best-known songs include Stairway to
Heaven, Whole Lotta Love, Rock and Roll, Kashmir
and Communication Breakdown - although they never released singles in the UK.

[]

OTHER RECENT REUNIONS
The Police
Genesis
Crowded House
The Spice Girls
Take That
Van Halen
The Smashing Pumpkins
The Jesus and Mary Chain
They are one of only four acts to have sold more
than 100 million albums in the US - the others
being The Beatles, Elvis Presley and Garth Brooks.

Led Zeppelin's last full concert was in Berlin in
July 1980 - two months before John Bonham died.

Page, Plant and Jones performed at Live Aid five
years later, and also get back together at a
concert to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Atlantic Records in 1988.

But a rift opened between Jones and the other two
band members opened after Page and Plant started
working together without him in the 1990s.

Rumours of a reconciliation surfaced several
years ago, leading to speculation about a reunion.

Their return follows comebacks by a number of
other rock and pop legends, such as The Police,
Genesis, the Spice Girls, Crowded House and Take That.

The concert coincides with the release of a new
two-CD best of compilation, Mothership, on 13 November.

Other acts lined up for the show include Foreigner and Paolo Nutini.

- SCHRADE

Joe in Philly