Certified Rose at Las Vegas Show?

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Mon Sep 3 09:38:49 CDT 2007

> From: Lowgens02 at aol.com
> Date: September 2, 2007 11:59:17 PM CDT
>
> Brian Cady's Who This Month:
>
>> On the 14th, The Who return to play the date at the Hard Rock
>> Hotel in Las
>> Vegas that had to be postponed after John died there. Roger
>> performs a song
>> of his own composition, "Certified Rose."
>
> I could be wrong,but I believe that Roger sang some of the words
> to it during TKAA at the said Vegas show on the 14th of September
> 2002.
>
> Someone can correct me or confirm hopefull.

I'm shocked.  If it weren't someone of Brian's reputation, I'd
dismiss this out of hand.  I was at that show and there was nothing
like a new song as such, called Certified Rose, played.  Come
on...you know it would have been all over the boards if it had been.
Singing a few words from it DURING another song isn't good enough,
IMO, to say that Roger "performs a song" -- saying "performs a song"
means, to me, that the whole song was performed.  I've never, to my
knowledge, heard Certified Rose, so it's possible that the verse that
Roger always sang during the bridge of TKAA -- "...I used to hang out
with a pretty wild bunch/we'd settle things with a slap or a punch",
etc. -- developed into what eventually became Certified Rose.  Or,
vice versa, Roger finished Certified Rose and his "extra verses"
during TKAA were quoting from it.  But this is just speculation along
the lines of trying to figure out what Brian's possibly referring
to.  Review the DVD all you like, but I'm offering a $10 reward to
the first person who can find Certified Rose performed as a
standalone number on the setlist.

Cheers,
Alan McKendree
Townshend, 1967