Lydon on My Generation

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Sun Sep 2 10:23:47 CDT 2007

> > who pete is and what pete writes / sings are two different
> > things.
>
> This may be true of some songwriters such as Alice Cooper,
> but not Pete.

Careful, Jon.  That kind of broad-brushed deification could be
used to argue that Pete's gay ("Rough Boys," "And I Moved")
*and* he likes to rape virgins ("Dr. Jimmy").  Obviously, the
issue isn't so "black & white."

> What Lydon said proves that he doesn't have a clue.

It's just Lydon being Rotten, isn't it?  It's what he does.  And
Pete helped pave the way for that type of harsh, sneering criti-
cism (think of the Beatles/"flippin' lousy" comment).

Much more stinging, IMO, was Kurt Cobain's comment:  "I
hope I die before I become Pete Townshend."

- SCHRADE in Akron