Remembering Mountford Hall

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 06:45:09 CDT 2007

>From The Liverpool Echo:
http://tinyurl.com/28psuc

The Who at Mountford Hall, May 14, 1971
Oct 29 2007 by Jade Wright, Liverpool Echo

WE asked you to tell us your favourite Liverpool gigs of all time. Here are some of your fascinating memories as told to Jade Wright.

“IN the early 70s, I was working as a postman in Rock Ferry and would often get sent over to Liverpool to help at the sorting office. On my lunch break, I saw a postcard in a shop window in Whitechapel that declared: ‘The Who at Liverpool University, £1.’ I could hardly believe my luck.

“When I arrived at Mountford Hall with my girlfriend (now my wife), the place was packed to the rafters, but we squeezed to the front. When The Who came on stage, it was like having them play in your living room. Our ears were ringing for weeks afterwards.

“The audience were treated to future classics Won’t Get Fooled Again, Behind Blue Eyes and Baba O’Riley before they had even been released.

“I saw most of the music greats over the years – Jimi Hendrix, The Stones, The Doors – but The Who in the early 70s were in a different class as a live band.

“For the princely sum of £1, I had just experienced the greatest show of my life at a small concert venue in Liverpool.”

Phil Thompson, Bebington

-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com