The Who eye Japan and Australia tour in 2008

Martin Bailey mobailey at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 27 04:21:31 CDT 2007

from
http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUKN2636474520071026?pageNumber=1

Note the words "Daltrey said Townshend has been writing new material."

And Daltrey says "I won't see the film"

-MB

The Who eye Japan and Australia tour in 2008
Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:37am BST

By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters)

Three months after The Who wrapped up a yearlong tour, singer Roger Daltrey
is chomping at the bit to return to the road, saying on Friday he hopes the
band will visit Japan and Australia next year.

The British rock veterans last played those countries in 2004. It marked
their first Australian tour in 36 years, and first time ever in Japan.

"I think we'll do some shows next year," Daltrey told Reuters. "We just
finished 13 months of touring all over the States and Europe, and are
probably due to go back to Japan and Australia next year. So we'll see what
happens there."

Daltrey, 63, and guitarist/songwriter Pete Townshend, 62, are the last two
surviving members of the foursome.

Drummer Keith Moon succumbed to an overdose of pills in 1978, and bass
player John Entwistle to a cocaine-induced heart attack in 2002 on the eve
of a North American tour.

The most recent trek coincided with the release of their first album in 25
years, "Endless Wire."

"We don't want to stop now," Daltrey said. "We don't want those long
hiatuses that we used to have. We feel at this time of our lives it's too
precious a thing to take liberties with time. When you're young, you've got
that time. When you're old, you haven't. You should at least keep the ball
rolling."

Daltrey said Townshend has been writing new material.

"I've always felt -- after Pete had written (the 1969 album) "Tommy" -- I
always had a little thing inside me saying, 'He'll write his best work when
he's an older man.' Pete has that kind of intellect.

In the meantime, The Who are preparing for the November 6 release of the
two-disc DVD "Amazing Journey: The Story of the Who," a documentary about
their rise, fall and current resurrection. Daltrey participated fully in the
project, but has no desire to watch the finished product.

"There's no point in me seeing it, I lived it. I'll watch me, I won't see
the film. I'll watch me in the film, and I find that very uncomfortable."