You're a Who Freak if...

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Wed Oct 10 00:04:56 CDT 2007

> From: Keithjmoon70 at aol.com
> Date: October 9, 2007 8:12:22 AM CDT
>
> Scott replies:
>
>> Man, that's on the HORTON HEARS THE WHO boot.
>
> Alan says:
>
>> You know how many shows you've seen but it would take a  spreadsheet
>> to keep the details straight.
>
>> You have that  spreadsheet.
>
> Y'all are some freaks!  ;-)

You know you're a freak when you consider that high praise :-).  (I
like yours about "the White Stripes still aren't your favorite band"!)

> From: Stephen Fairbairn <seeker at elkvalley.net>
> Date: October 9, 2007 11:18:03 PM CDT
>
> Ok, a few days late ... but... if your a Who freak ...
>
> 18) I drove from Ottawa to Vancouver to see them live in (forgive
> me,...1989) because they were playing live!!!!!!!!!! And I'd do it
> again ....

Wo.  3,000 miles?!?  Props to Mr. Steve!  I was at that show.  I left
a conference in San Diego three days early to make the Vancouver show
(the few people I told why I was leaving thought I was a lunatic, or
worse).  Flew to Seattle, drove to Vancouver without making prior
arrangements, so I wound up getting a room on the second floor of
what turned out to be a disco on the first floor.  I was supposed to
have been interviewed on a Vancouver radio broadcast about the show
but I called in 5 minutes too late for my slot.  Saw the show after
going through the usual (at the time) process of buying a 7th-row
seat from a scalper outside for $100 or so...the venue roof looked
like a giant inflated balloon...some people came down to sit beside
me and were giddy at being so close to the stage before the show even
started.  I seem to remember Roger saying something disparaging about
the acoustics.  Pete was suffering from his hand impalement a couple
nights prior but still did a great show...after the show, went back
to the hotel where I felt and heard the disco until mere sound could
keep me awake no more.

> 19) A failed fuel pump and a car crash didn't keep me from seeing
> them in 2000 at 'The Gorge'.

Nice. You know you're a freak when neither money, family, civilians,
fate, rain, sleet nor gloom of night prevent you from having your ass
in the venue at showtime.  Although I do know one sad story about a
fellow Who freak who actually missed a show because the shuttle train
at the airport froze on the tracks between terminals and trapped him
until he missed his plane.

Cheers,
Alan McKendree
Townshend, 1967