Who Doesn't Sell Out?

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Tue Nov 27 23:32:18 CST 2007

> From: Scott Schrade <schrade at akrobiz.com>
> Date: November 27, 2007 7:30:54 PM CST
>
> ==========
> (http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=74b2e3e0-
> b781-42fb-8df3-5f76e18d5ab8)
>
> Who doesn't sell out?
> 1971 - The New Seekers turn a jingle into a single when they re-
> record the
> Coca-Cola song I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (in Perfect
> Harmony). In
> other words, advertisers were co-opted first rather than vice-versa.

The one I remember from years ago is someone standing on a sidewalk
with lyrics writte in marker on posterboard, dropping them one by one
to reveal new lyrics, with the music being "The Israelite" by Desmond
Dekker.  But the written "lyrics" were actually what the words
sounded like -- nonsense -- not what they really were:  "Get up in
the morning forsten a razor..." etc.  It was hilarious, but I only
saw it a couple times.  Can't remember the product -- sneakers?
Hm...off to a youtube search...

Cheers,
Alan McKendree
Townshend, 1967