VFABP

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Mon Nov 26 21:29:12 CST 2007

To augment Bruce's great review:

VIEW FROM A BACKSTAGE PASS
Produced by Bob Pridden
Compiled and mastered by Jon Astley
Mixed by Bob Pridden & Sean Witt

Wow!  This is brilliant stuff!  I loved it all!  Even though some of
it's been released before & we've heard other songs on boots, this
2-CD package is an absolute delight.

The sound is flippin' awesome.  I don't know if this CD is getting
the obligatory negative reaction in certain quarters because of Jon
Astley's involvement, but I thought he & everyone else (Bob Pridden
especially) did an outstanding job.  This was actually worth the
$50.00 fee to officially join the website!

CD 1
Fortune Teller
Oct. 12, 1969 - Dearborn, MI
Arguably the worst-sounding track on the CD.  A bit muddy but a
huge leap from the thin-sounding boots of this era.  A very slow &
methodical version of the song.  The bass is loud which, thankfully,
can be said of all the tracks.

Happy Jack
I'm A Boy
A Quick One
Feb. 15, 1970 - Hull, England
Brilliant.  Just brilliant.  Leeds-like sound.  Loud drums.  Crisp cymbals.
Beautiful bass.  Thick, gritty guitar.  Top-notch vocals.  In IAB, Pete
sings: "The other was Rog & he's a boy!" (!)  AQO is stunning.

Magic Bus
June 9, 1970 - Denver, CO
Cor blimey, release this whole show!  A long, rip-roaring version of
MB.  I sometimes get bored with this song but I was mesmerized.
Maybe even better sound than the above group.  OX is so patient,
waiting for the explosion to begin his riffing.  And it's a long wait.  This
song clocks in at 13:50.  Some jaw-dropping guitar work by Pete.

I Can't Explain
Substitute
My Wife
Behind Blue Eyes
Bargain
Baby Don't You Do It
Dec. 13, 1971 - San Francisco, CA
Again:  Release...entire...show...please.  Wonderful despite having heard
much of this before.  Loud everything!  Great mix!  Who heaven!

CD 2
The Punk & the Godfather
5:15
Won't Get Fooled Again
Dec. 6, 1973 - Largo, Maryland (WGFA from Philly)
Sound quality drops a bit here because of the original recordings, but still,
it's good stuff.  Don't think I've heard "Punk" & "5:15" before.  But the
WGFA is definitely from the TALES FROM THE WHO boot.  However,
the acoustic guitar on the synth track is real loud here.  Each song has
that somewhat muddy & slightly weak sound we've grown accustomed
to on the boots.  The drums suffer the most.  All that said, it still sounds
great.  As good as it's gonna get.  WGFA has the full intro, not a fade-in.

Young Man Blues
Tattoo
Boris the Spider
Naked Eye/Let's See Action/My Generation Blues
May 18, 1974 - Charlton Athletic Club, South London
Sound quality goes back up to bitchin' levels here.  Nice & beefy unlike
some of the video boots that have circulated.  A release of this entire show
wouldn't go amiss, either.  Some hilarious stage banter, too:  "And now we'd
like to feature....!  The man in the horrible jacket....  John Entwistle!
Wiiiiiith....  Not 'My Wife!'  Not 'Heaven & Hell!'  Not 'Doctor Fucking
Doctor!'  But the one & only....really nasty....spooky....'Boris the Spider!'"

Squeeze Me
Dreaming From the Waist
Fiddle About
Pinball Wizard
I'm Free
Tommy's Holiday Camp
We're Not Gonna Take It
See Me, Feel Me/Listening To You
June 12, 1976 - Swansea, Wales
Again, we've heard much of this before, officially & unofficially, but once
more the sound is consistently top-notch here.  A nice TOMMY ending
to the whole she-bang.

Packaging:  Cardboard slipcase, open at the top where cardboard sleeves
slide in & out (and in and out).  Big 22-page booklet with no liner notes
to speak of but a lot of rare pictures.  And they gave Bobby Pridden his
due with a full picture on the last page!  Nice touch!

I can't say enough about this CD.  I hope this is a sign that greater things
are to come.  Like I said, full concert releases of this material would be
every Who freak's dream come true (that & more DVD releases!).  I'm
gonna be playing this constantly for the next few months.  Whew....!

Grade:  A-

- SCHRADE in Akron