Report from R'n'R Camp

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 10 08:04:23 CST 2007

>From the Los Angeles Times:
http://tinyurl.com/2bthyt

Liam Gowing, Times Staff Writer

...After that mid-afternoon meet-and-greet, it was back to work. Going through the other big names who'd be swinging through for a potential cameo with the band – Joe Walsh, Slash, Jack Bruce, Roger Daltrey – we focused our brown noses on Daltrey and Slash and decided to learn one Who and one Guns N' Roses song. The GN'R selection was easy; everyone wanted to do "Sweet Child O' Mine." But picking out a Who song was a knock-down drag-out. We listened to – or discussed – "My Generation," "I Can't Explain," "Substitute," "Behind Blue Eyes," "The Real Me," "Pinball Wizard," and even "Baba O'Reilly." I was vehemently against the last choice. Sacrilege! We haven't earned the right to play – much less butcher – that classic rock colossus in front of the larynx that made it famous.

I kept pushing "My Generation" and "I Can't Explain." Easy hit-it-and-quit-it numbers that would keep things light. But after much ado, we settled on "Pinball Wizard," simply because I knew the guitar part. In fact, I knew it so well Slaughter and company suggested I just play guitar at the show – a much easier prospect than trying to follow in Keith Moon's footsteps – so I agreed. I'll be swapping roles with our foremost guitarist Yayo, who was itching to play drums anyway.

Word is Daltrey's coming by tomorrow, which, as the little orphan sang, is only a day away.

-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com