Amazing Journey

Jim M nakedi at comcast.net
Thu Nov 8 10:27:22 CST 2007

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Schrade"

> Watched the main movie.  Enjoyed it for the most part but it did
> seem rushed at times.  Despite its 2 hours it's a very basic overview
> of the band's history.  Now I understand Jon's comment after he
> saw the NY screening when he said he had "seen it all before."

I finally got around to watching the movie last night.  I had recorded the
HD broadcast and saved it for a quiet time when I could watch it
uninterrupted.

The first thing I should mention is that I'm not a fan who likes to delve
deep into the very early history of the band.  Frankly, it's pretty boring
to see what most celebrities were like as kids/young adults.  I love the
early songs and all, but the whole 60s West London club scene, pop art,
Acton High School minutia only seemed relevant because it was a stage of
development they had to go through to become the fully developed force they
became after Tommy.  So, if you had told me that nearly half of this film
would deal with the pre-Tommy period and it wouldn't even get up to My
Generation until 45 minutes in, I'd have been very worried about how dull it
would be.

How wrong I would have been.  Yes, I've seen/heard most of this stuff
before, but somehow it resonated better with me than it ever had.  My non
Who fan wife was laughing out loud in places at some of their antics.  They
*needed* 45 minutes to do that period justice and hats off to them for
taking time away from the more commercially sellable period of the 70s.

Tommy.  Again, I knew how big a deal Tommy was in their careers, but this
seemed to drive home how important it was for their
personal/professional/musical development.

Leeds footage.  Much better than I expected.  The B&W picture was clear, not
fuzzy.  The camera was mounted on a tripod, so it wasn't shaky.  You only
get to see the stage, which might be the most visually unappealing concert
set I've ever seen, but man was it great to finally get an image of the
show.  I wish they could have shown more.

I did feel like the production of the documentary felt much more like a TV
show than a feature film.  I wonder if I'd feel any different if I had seen
it in a cinema.  Too bad they didn't do a wider special theatrical release
like the Isle of Wight reissue a few years ago.

One question, they showed a good size clip of Baba O'Riley from the mid 70s
that I couldn't place.  What show was that from?

Jim M