NME and Uncut on Amazing Journey Q&A

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 6 15:15:29 CST 2007

http://www.nme.com/news/the-who/32330

The Who: 'We don't really have any plans for the future'

Veterans face their fans' questions in London

The Who have revealed that they don't currently have any plans for the future.

Speaking at a Q&A session after the preview of the film 'Amazing Journey: The Story Of The Who' at the Kensington Odeon last night (November 5), the group said they are currently reviewing their future.

Songwriter and guitarist Pete Townshend said: "We don't really have any plans for the future. We're faced with a load of things we could do. We could play Vegas, do a rock'n'roll tour or an Unplugged-type event."

Vocalist Roger Daltrey then added: "It depends whether we feel we've got anything to say."

The duo talked about a variety of different topics at the screening - which was chaired by Jeremy Clarkson and attended by relatives of deceased Who members Keith Moon and John Entwistle - including the Led Zeppelin reunion, on which Townshend denounced criticism of Robert Plant reforming the band so soon after releasing his duets' album with Alison Krauss.

Frontman Daltrey also commented on the origins of his famous fringed jacket, showcased at the 1970 Isle Of Wight Festival, saying: "[the designer] used to make leather sofas and decided to make a suit. It was like a giant chamois leather."

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/uncut/news/10586

The pair also spoke fondly about their former bandmate Keith Moon’s attempts to play “My Generation” with cricket bats instead of drumsticks during a gig at London’s Oval cricket ground in 1971, and the “long, fringe thing” Daltrey wore on stage at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970 that had been made by a friend of his. “He used to make leather sofas and decided to make me a suit,” said Daltrey. “It was like a giant chamois leather.”

The event itself was very relaxed, though Townshend conspicuously bristled when one question asked whether the band were planning to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Quadrophenia in 2009. “He means Tommy,” said Townshend. “But aren’t 40th anniversaries for people like TS Eliot? There were 20 years when The Who didn’t do anything, so anniversaries don’t work for us.”

Townshend later became very passionate when asked what he thought of the Led Zeppelin reunion. He admitted he felt confused by what he perceived as criticism directed against Robert Plant for “having the audacity” to reform Zep after making “a classy album with Alison Krauss.”

Read Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey talking about Amazing Journey, Tommy, Quadrophenia and more in an exclusive interview in this month’s edition of UNCUT, on sale now.

-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com