New Website Posts From Pete & Rog

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Tue Nov 6 16:17:20 CST 2007

==========
www.thewho.com

Pete's Blog
5th November, 2007
BLOG ON

Welcome. This is a day I never thought I would see. This is a web site
dedicated to The Who, and fully supported by both remaining members of
the band, Roger Daltrey and myself. Roger has been slow to engage the
power of the web, but I'll let him speak about that in his own
welcome.  We are joining forces here, and that is grand step. This
website will create a conduit for two-way contact with our fans. The
best way to begin is by being as honest as possible.

I have no idea where this enterprise will lead. Unlike any other
similar project it requires that you subscribe in order to take
advantage of the resources on offer here. Charging you for a website
is something I have rarely done in the past. True, I have made some
attempts to create a pay-to-view conduit for live events from my
studio, and for parts of Who live concerts in 2006 and 2007. However,
these attempts failed to make enough money to cover even the most
basic costs, and not because of technical problems in the production
or with streaming, but rather because of technical problems
encountered in dealing with e-commerce transactions and ensuring
delivery of the events. I hope that the subscription scheme we are now
introducing is something you'll see as fair and good value. The
preparation of "View from a Backstage Pass", the double CDs of live
vintage Who, certainly brought back a load of memories for me.

At my SxSW keynote talk earlier this year I made it clear I am keen to
see live events on the web happening in real time. There are many
reasons why this is hard to do. Most folk want to watch on demand, or
fit in a show into their domestic or career time-frame, and the
vagaries of international Time Zones make coordinating global events
tricky. Even so, this is still my passion, and I very much hope we can
set up live events on a regular basis for those of you who have
subscribed.

The work leading to the tour of 2006/7 began for me when I started
completing demos for the songs that eventually appeared on Endless
Wire.  A few songs had been knocking around for a couple of years, but
I hit the record button in earnest in the winter of 2005, and I
haven't really had time to breathe since. Not quite true, since the
tour ended in Scandinavia in July 2007 (this year), I have of course
been breathing.  But I've been breathing strange and unfamiliar air. I
am just about beginning to feel normal, and that - sadly - means that
I am looking around me and seeing a lot going on in the world, and in
my own life, that it isn't quite as I would like it. Being on the road
all the time means that what is left behind can be neglected. That
failure to look after things can extend from family pets to pet
charities - and of course business back at base.

That's the downside of being away and preoccupied for so long. The
upside is that the tour turned out to be such a wonderful time for me.
Firstly, my partner Rachel Fuller agreed to travel on the entire tour
with me, and managed at least 90% of the travel. Together we filled in
some of the time between Who shows with her 'In The Attic' web casts
and 'Attic Jam' live shows. For me, far from distracting me from my
job with the Who, I often felt stimulated and inspired by meeting and
working with other musicians, most of whom I met for the first time
just before we played together. I felt challenged, and enjoyed my
ability to deepen my musicianship.

Another extra-mural benefit was that my son is a teenager now, and he
got to see the Who play a lot of concerts, many at Festivals that he
was able to muck into with his friends. The Who have avoided Festivals
for years, since the tragedy at Cincinnati in 1979 at a Who concert
when eleven young people were killed in a crush entering the building.
Sadly, there have been more accidents at Festivals: for Pearl Jam at
Roskilde in 2000, and for Smashing Pumpkins more recently. There will
be accidents and possibly occasional deaths at Festival events in
future.  The audiences seem to me to be younger than ever. There is a
high energy level combined with unfamiliarity with the stamina
required to last an entire day in the front wave of a Festival crowd.
But for me, crossing my fingers, praying there would be no trouble,
playing for Festival crowds again after over 35 years has been
wonderful. At Glastonbury we shared our evening with Shirley Bassey,
who only eight years older than me, could still start a riot, but
thankfully didn't.

In fact our last few shows on the tour were in Scandinavia, and one of
them was Roskilde. Every Festival we played was a special occasion for
me, meeting other artists, seeing new faces and playing to large
crowds.  I came home feeling as though I could go on forever.

However, one aspect of our big push that didn't quite create the
impact I'd hoped was our CD Endless Wire. Reviews were mixed, and
radio play was tough. Sales were good, but not great. Even so, I
enjoyed recording it very much, partly because I did so much of it in
my home studio. I am proud of the music. I am writing new songs at the
moment.

Roger and I have had a number of meetings since the tour, and look
forward to playing some shows next year. Not sure where, when or how.
Some may well be here on the web. I hope that this website will make
all the existing Who chat-rooms and Forums even more valuable and
active than before. For the first time there is a kind of corporate
heart that you can all target - for transfusion or vampirism. This,
though, is the place to come for gossip, up-to-date news and contact
about - and with - The Who that you won't get anywhere else.

You must LOGIN or SUBSCRIBE in to access full content.

BEHIND BLUE EYES

MESSAGE FROM ROGER

Welcome to The Who's first online home. I feel about as useful as a
pork chop in a synagogue with all this Internet bollocks. I suppose it
keeps millions of people in virtual conversation, which saves them
getting too burned by reality, but as you may have gathered I'm not a
big fan of it. I'm always ready to be won over though and will
endeavour to give it my best shot to keep it interesting.

It's a bit of an empty room here at the moment (not all the
furniture's arrived yet) but it's a start, which will evolve and grow
to be a useful resource for you to keep up with what The Who is up to.
And it's great to have our music and our history as a band and as
individuals in one place. Even if it is virtual.

I hope you enjoy it. But do me a favour; leave the screen turned off
sometimes. Go out. Get a life.

Be lucky,
Roger