Roger interview in the New York Post

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 07:53:46 CST 2007

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11042007/entertainment/music/the_who_557248.htm

“I identified with [Tommy], because for four years I'd been in the wilderness in the band, desperately trying to find out, ‘How do I sing these songs?'" Daltrey tells The Post. “Previous to that, I was a blues singer - a totally different persona - and I'd think, ‘Where am I? Who am I?' I was deaf, dumb and blind. So ‘Tommy' opened the doors. It brought me home."

For Daltrey, who's working with actor Mike Myers to try to develop a Moon biopic, memories of his late bandmate conjure up mixed emotions.

“He was so volatile. Everything about him was immense," says Daltrey. “He had immense gentleness, but an immense violent side as well. When I think about things, it's usually times when he was very, very vulnerable, and very fragile."

The Who's contribution to rock is explored in many ways, including by showing how Jimi Hendrix's theatrics were stolen from Townshend at the Monterey Pop Festival.
“[Jimi's] guitar smashing, amplifier feedback thing really came from Pete," says Daltrey. “He obviously would have been a huge success. It's just that that piece of his act was a complete and utter nick."

For die-hard Who fans, the film's most satisfying aspect might be the in-depth examination of the tender but turbulent relationship between Daltrey and Townshend, one that has grew deeper following the deaths of Moon in 1978 and Entwistle in 2002.

“People say, ‘Oh, you seem to be good friends now.' I don't think we've ever been bad friends," says Daltrey. “There are times when we've drifted into periods of noncommunication, which has led to frustrations. But I don't think there's ever been a period where we really haven't been friends."

-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com